Video Screencast Help

BE 2010: backup to disk backup fails

Created: 07 Aug 2012 • Updated: 10 Aug 2012 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi there, I've just stepped into a new network admin role at a company and am trying to figure out how to get the backups to work consistently.  Currently we have Backup Exec 2010 (I don't believe it's R2 or R3 - shows v13.0 rev. 2896 for Media Server and Admin Console) installed on a Small Business Server 2003. 

I am trying to get a backup from an existing selection list to back up to an external USB drive with a backup-to-disk folder set up onto it.  I did place this device into a media pool and point the backup to that media pool rather than the device (for future use involving other external hard drives).  There is a backup to disk folder on this device, enabled and online, with the maximum size for backup-to-disk files set to 25GB, not allocating maximum size for backup-to-disk files, max number of backup sets set to 30.  Currently 2 B2D files in this folder, low disk space threshold set to 5GB but the physical drive has approximately 370GB free.  The media set for the job is set for Infinite overwrite protection and Infinite Allow Append. 

The test run fails because it finds about 56GB of data to back up, but shows 22.8GB of online append capacity and 51.2GB of online overwrite capacity.  My assumption is that there has to be a setting that I'm missing that would cause the B2D folder to create an additional B2D file(s) in order to allow for the added capacity required for the backup.  What am I missing? :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

milobloom's picture

I should also mention that the test run showed total append capacity of 1.7TB and total overwrite capacity of 2.8TB, combined with the online/append overwrite numbers I mentioned above, but the capacity check status showed as failed.

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi,

Instead of doing test run ,when you run actual backup what happen?

Please see link below
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24217

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

pkh's picture

rev. 2896 is plain BE 2010. You should upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version of BE 2010 and contains a lot of fixes. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

 
http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso
 
After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.
 
After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.
 
 
Don't worry too much about your test results.  Personally, I have not done a single test test.  Take a look at the resources that you want to back up and add up the volume of data.  If there is space on your disk to contain the data, just go for it and do an actual run.  Your B2D settings looks fine.
SOLUTION
milobloom's picture

pkh, thanks for that link, I will check into that.  I looked at the current install of BE2010 and found the license key for Backup Exec 2010 SBS Edition but I don't see license keys in there for the additional options (Exchange, SQL Server, Sharepoint).  Should I be concerned about losing those functions when I upgrade to R3 if I don't see license keys for them?  (I guess it depends whether I can install the newer version over top or if I have to remove/reinstall..?)

I ended up increasing the max file size on the B2D folder to 100GB - this seemed to be the only way that the test run would work, and the backup did work last night as well.  And I did find the article that @backupexec mentioned - basically initializing the B2D folder with a small backup in order for it to work.

As for what would happen when I tried to actually run the backup before I messed with the B2D folders, the backup would fail with this message:  "e000e020 - The job was scheduled to run, but the availability window closed before the job could start. There may not have been any destination devices available during the window, or the job may have been submitted to run when the window was closed."

pkh's picture

You will not see a licence for Exchange, etc, because you are using the SBE edition and they are incorporated into the SBE licence.  You will not loose your SBE licence when you do an in-place upgrade to R3.

Don't put too much store in test runs.  Personally, I don't do test runs.  The proof the pudding is in actual runs.  When these have problems, then you can starting worrying.

Make sure that your B2D folder is online and ready.  If necessary, go to the Devices tab and pause/unpause the folder.