Video Screencast Help

BE 2010 Licensing: When necessary license NDMP Option for deduplication?

Created: 16 Feb 2012 • Updated: 22 Feb 2012 | 5 comments
Esteban_E's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all,

I need a help of colleagues who already have experience with Deduplication Option of BE, as I am new on this product functionality.

On the one hand, I have seen in several documents that must be taken not only licensed Deduplication Option for every Media Server, RAWS, but also NDMP Option. Is this correct?

If so, apply on the 3 scenarios deduplication offering BE (Client Side / Media Server Deduplication / OpenStorage)?

Another query: My client has a Hitachi AMS2100 ... is necessary to have the connector to take it as fate?

Of course thanks as always!

Regards

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

You do not need the NDMP option for dedup.  You only need the NDMP option if you want to use NDMP with your SAN devices.

Let's say, you define your dedup folder on an internal harddisk, then you only need the dedup licence.  With the dedup option, you can do client-side or server-side dedup and also use OST devices.  No extra licences required.

2010 Licensing Guide

Esteban_E's picture
Last answer..
With the team that did mention (Hitachi AMS2100), you must apply for the connector to work as a destination? Or Backup Exec detects it automatically?

Thank you!

teiva-boy's picture

The HDS AMS2100 is a SAN and not a NAS.  Thus an NDMP option is NOT needed, and would be wasted money.

BackupExec cannot deduplicate NDMP at all, so don't bother with that either.  NetBackup can though.

HDS did recently acquire Blu-Arc for their NAS technology, but even then I'm not sure that is on the HCL for NDMP, and will probably NEVER be supported for deduplication like NetApp and EMC would be for NetBackup.

Typically for any SAN, you don't need any thing further, unless you want to do SAN based snapshot/backcup operations, also known as "Off-host backups."  Then you may want to look into the ADBO option, Advanced Disk Based Solution.  HDS is listed as supported.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

SOLUTION
Esteban_E's picture

Excellent reply, thank you very much for the information.

Esteban