Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE 2010 R3 and 10Gb/s Ethernet

Created: 21 Oct 2013 • Updated: 01 Nov 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

Has anyone ever tried to backup a client using 10Gb/s etherent instaed of a standard 1Gb/s ethernet?

What is the backup speed i will get when backing up from a client with a very fast raid volume to a sever with BE 2010 that is connected to a  LTO 5 or LTO 6 (SAS) when the data is being transfferd over 10Gb/s ethernet?

Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

Dori

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

No 2 environments are the same, so my backup speed won't be what you could get for instance. It depends on what you are backing up too, how many files and their sizes, compression, maintenande tasks, antivirus scans etc.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
dori_bashan's picture

Of course.

I just want to know what is the avargae spped that people are getting in their environmets, so i will have any idea on "real world" speeds.

as for now, i dont even know if in the "real world" people are getting 100 MB/s or 600MB/s.

Thanks!

Dori

pkh's picture

How would this knowledge help you?  If I tell you I get 100 MB/s, would you be satisfied with the answer.

dori_bashan's picture

If someone that have expriencse with BE and 10 Gb/s ethernet would tell me that he is able to get 350 Mb/s to 500 Mb/s - i would know that its possible in the "real world" and not only on the spec sheets of the 10Gb/s cards.

CraigV's picture

...like I said, no 2 environments are going to give you the same speeds unfortunately, dependent on everything I mentioned.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

There are a lot of other factors that come into play to determine the speed of your backup.  If the network is not the constraint, then increasing the network speed will not increase the speed of your backup.

SOLUTION