Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE 2010 R3 Hot Fix 161270 Not Installing (indefinite "Please wait ...")

Created: 23 Jul 2013 | 9 comments

I need to install Hot Fix 161270 on my Dell DL2200.  I'm installing the x64 version (be5204R161270_x64bit) and after rebooting, shutting down BE services, and running the executable, I get "Configuring Symantec Backup Exec.   Please wait ...", and it has not completed in over an hour.  This is the second try.  I need this fix to address two problems ("Duplication job might write data to not only the specified target device but to a different available device as well" and "Backup Exec 2010 R3 remote agent servers do not show up under Favorite resources in the backup selection list").   How do I install this hot fix?

Operating Systems:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

You would need to have the BE services running to install the Hotfix. Try to do this and if it still does not help, open a support case and work with a technician.

jriesberg's picture

I will try this.  I didn't shut the services down on the first attempt, but one of the first status messages that comes up is "Stopping backup exec services".   I'm running it now. 

jriesberg's picture

Ok.  I reran the hot fix installer, and the services were shut down.   But the installer errored with a "install was interrupted before it finished - try again at a later time".  With the services in the same state, I am rerunning the installer, and it gave me a warning about BE still running.  So I shut down BE, clicked "retry" and now the installer is in the "configuring symantec backup exec.  Please wait ..." state.  I will see if it finishes.   Do you know how long it will take to run?  

jriesberg's picture

Still hasn't completed after over an hour.  I'll see about opening a support case.

MusSeth's picture

right click on the installation package and select run as administartor an than try if thsi works

jriesberg's picture

I'm trying this now.  I also noticed that SP2 will not install (through Live Update).  I get "LU1812" error.  So the two may be related?  On the first run, I got the same error as before (install errored before completed).  I'm rerunning now, and the status is "configuring Symantec Backup Exec.  Please wait ...

I'll let it run for a while, but past installs haven't gotten past this point. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm running under the administrator account, but I've seen where "run as administrator" has made a difference with other products in the past.

jriesberg's picture

I opened a support case.  04795704.  No progress on the Hot Fix installation yet.

Jaydeep S's picture

Thanks, I have reviewd the case. Please let us know once the backups started yesterday finish.

MusSeth's picture

Please check the following technotes for LU1812

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163554

please provide the exact error message for LU 1812