Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrades.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

BE 2010/2012, MSA P2000 and HW VSS

Created: 29 Aug 2012

Hello Backup Exec Engineers,

I have a problem that I would like to discuss.

Configuration:

Host, 2 node Windows 2008r2 Cluster. There are 6 VMs. Windows nodes are on all the latest patches and hotfixes.

The MSA P2000 is the latest firmware and using the latest MSA hardware VSS provider.

Problem Description

I am trying to backup a single VM using the arrays HW provider and it fails for 8004230E or 80042314

I have the issue replicated and isolated to my lab.

Here is the recipe.

If I set my backup job to use the hardware provider

• AOF - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (Windows 2003 or later) is set for "Hardware - Use technology provided by the hardware manufacturer"

The Backup job starts, the CSV filter changes state, backup running. BE fails immediately with 8004230E. The VSS logs state there is a timeout occurred. The CSV filter stays in the redirect mode. If you kick off another backup job while CSV filter is still in redirect mode, BE fails for 800042314. If you wait for CSV filter to timeout, it will return to direct mode.

If I set my backup job to use Automatic

• AOF - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (Windows 2003 or later) is set for "Automatic - Allow VSS to select the snapshot provider"

The Backup job runs perfectly. BE properly selects the MSA VSS hardware provider and creates a hardware snapshot and never fails.

I work for HP MSA Engineering and currently working with Microsoft on this problem. Microsoft VSS logs and MSA HW VSS logs point to a bug with how BackupExec is determining the provider.

Do you know of this problem?

I realize this is out of process but if you would like to discuss this issue further, see the problem occur or logs from Backup Exec, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

John