BE 2012 and DLO (Desktop Laptop Option)
We are currently using BE 2010 R3 with the DLO (desktop laptop option). All backup jobs are run directly to tape for our Windows servers. The desktops and laptops are backed up to a file share location on the BE 2010 server and backed up to tape as part of a nightly backup job.
I have been looking at doing the upgrade to BE 2012 and have been reviewing documentation on this totally different system. I printed out the 1342 page BE 2012 Administrator's Guide and was looking through it to see what sort of changes were made to DLO. I was shocked to find that DLO is no longer part of BE 2012. Upon further research it appears as if DLO is now a stand alone product and no longer integrated with BE 2012.
I also read a tech note that says DLO has to be uninstalled in BE 2010 before attempting to upgrade to BE 2012 or else the upgrade will fail.
So my questions are:
- What happens with the 5 machine licenses for DLO that used to be included with BE 2010?
- Since my BE 2010 with DLO was under a support agreement, do I now automatically get a license for DLO 7.0 as well as BE 2012?
- When I uninstall DLO from BE 2010 to upgrade to BE 2012 and then later install DLO 7.0, will all of my setups and backups have to be setup from scratch again?
- What happens to the old DLO backups?
- Can DLO 7.0 program reside on the same physical server as BE 2012? Can it use the same SQL Express install?
- Can the new DLO 7.0 backup Windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit desktops and laptops without special additional licenses?
- Does Symantec have any video tutorials on DLO 7.0? (I searched Symantec Connect and didn't find any)