Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE 2012 & DataDomain DDBoost OST problem tape full error condition & read / write error

Created: 06 Feb 2014 • Updated: 06 Feb 2014 | 8 comments
virtualCHgeek's picture

Hi all,

We have a weird problem on one of my customer's site.

I just migrated their backup infrastructure to BE 2012.

I installed Backup Exec 2012 from scratch on a new system Win 2008 R2.

And yes, I installed the dedup option :)

Versions :

BE 2012 SP3 : 14.0 Rev 1798.1300 (64 bit)

DD OST : 2.6.0.2-3

DD OS : 5.4.0.8-404909

I have created new DDBoost repositories, with a clean DDBoost user which i entered in Backup Exec.

Created my OST DDBoost devices which he proposes alone once I entered the DD hostname.

Concurrent Ops : 4

Split Data stream every : 50 GB

Data Stream Size : 256 KB

Stream handler : Disabled

CLient side dedup : Disabled

Disk space reserve for non BE operations : 1 GB

We have many backups going well, but as we have many servers to backup, Exchange Cluster, Evault, NetApps, Win servers, we have also many problems :

First Problem :

Robotic library destination element full error.

The robotic library has reported a destination element full error condition. This is typically caused by trying to mount media into a drive that already contains media. The drive state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition.

Second Problem :

xxxx-Full Daily -- The job failed with the following error: A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

We have tried to update our DDBoost OST, the DDos, and BE was at lasted patches.

We scheduled all jobs to launch separately.

We updated all agents, rebooted all servers, checked our fiber / network connections.

Now we are stuck .. any thoughts, ideas or leads ?

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Did you install the dedup option on the media server and install the DD OST plug-in on the media server

virtualCHgeek's picture

Yes, as i wrote it in the question :

you have the DD ost version

and as i can backup and create the dedup folders, the dedup option is installed. :)

thanks,

pkh's picture

If you have created a dedup folder on the DD, then you are not using it correctly. You need to install the DD OST plug-in on the media server so that you can use the DD as a dedup appliance

virtualCHgeek's picture

it's configured correctly .. and it's also working on many jobs as i said it. ( did you read my threat ?)

I just don't know how to name the way you add the DD.

I just have those error's sometime and want to know if someone encountered the same things.

sidd3009's picture
Usually these errors are seen on tape based backup device, where the device that has a corrupt or faulty device driver in operation. This can also cause the device to go offline. In this case there CAN be a problem with DataDomain device itself(Note: It is just a slight possibility).
As of now, I'd like you to do the following: 
1. Check the available free space on the DataDomain Device.
2. Run an inventory on the DataDomain Device.

Regards,

Siddhant Saini
Advanced Technical Support Engineer, Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

CraigV's picture

...you do realise that the OP might actually be getting these errors especially if they're using a Data Domain with VTL...?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

sidd3009's picture

Yes, I do. But how would it change the fact that some backup jobs work and some dont? 

Regards,

Siddhant Saini
Advanced Technical Support Engineer, Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

virtualCHgeek's picture

Hi guys & thanks for your answers,

@Craig : Actually the customers didn't uses VTL on the DD.

@Sidd3009 : This is really a good point. This DD is used by actually 3 backup servers. That's why I juste made 4 concurrent operations. We tried to split the jobs so that just one server attacks the DD on the same time laps, but we never now.

To avoid anything strange, I made new DDBoost folders for the two new servers.. and I thinck that's why i have some strange things happening. I should have made other folders for each new server... or make an inventory of the folder each time the server want's to access it ( but this isn't a so good idea .. )

I'll try this ..  you helped me find this point. Thanks alot :)