Video Screencast Help

BE 2012 GUI hangs after Upgrade BE2010R3 - BE2012SP1

Created: 08 May 2013 • Updated: 15 May 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all,

we upgraded our BE2010R3 installation to BE2012SP1. The Upgrade Process itself went pretty well, but after the upgrade the GUI isn't running correctly. When we start the GUI, it hangs at 'loading data' for several minutes. After that the software runs, but every click takes again several minutes to be processed. The same behaviour on a remote GUI on another machine. The actual backup jobs seem to run, but several of them failed, because after the upgrade the 'old' DiskStorages are read-only and therefore have insufficient space left. I recognized this through email notifications.

The BE is running on a dedicated hardware with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 64bit.

I found a KB article on this issue, but the only solution they provide is to contact the support on whose response I'm currently waiting.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204561

Has anybody else came across this error so far? Is there a solution? If I can't find a solution today I will need to revert the server back to the 2010 software, because we need the backup running today.

Best regards, Stefan

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

DevG's picture

Hello Stefan,

The technote you referenced is a known issue currently under Symantec Engineering team's investigation. From the initial investigation it looks like some corruption in BEDB database due to communication problem with tape devices or robotic libraries attached to media server. There are some device related entries which needs to be removed from database to correct this situation. I would suggest you to open a support case to get further assistance on this incident. You can PM the support case ID so we can take its ownership and assist further on the same.

Regards,

Devang Gandhi

SOLUTION
Sush...'s picture

Hello Stefan,

    One possible workaround what you may try to perform is remove all the External devices connected to the server (like Robotic Library or Tape drives or USB drives, etc) and then restart the BE services.

Then try to open the console and see if that makes any difference.

 

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

StefanWR's picture

Hi Sush, thanks for your reply. I tried your workaround and disconnected all external devices (USB-Stick, network, external sas disc storages, Library through fibrechannel, and single tape drives). But the problem remained.

Stefan

StefanWR's picture

The Symantec Support was able to solve the problem. In my case we had to erase the Tape library out of the Database.

Thanks for your help, Stefan.