Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE 2012 sp2 Data Domain storage going Read-only

Created: 25 Sep 2013 • Updated: 25 Sep 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We are using Backup Exec 2012 sp2 on Server 2008 R2 and have a Data Domain DD160 with a file share.  Recently the DD160 shows up under the Storage tab as read-only.  If I go to the file share I am able to create and delete files and folders fine.  Any ideas on how to bring the DD160 to Read and Write again.

Thank you

Josh

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Donald Eady's picture

Backup Exec doesnt have the ablity to make a DD device read only or Read/write, It reports backup what the the DD device is putting out. For some reason it is now presenting itself as  read-only. Out of curiosity have you reached out to Data Domain and if so what is there input on this? 

I hope this posting was helpful

JShug's picture

Donald,

No I have not reached out to Data Domain yet only because when I was able to create and delete files I assumed it was not the DD160.  I had also read a few articles about USB drives going read-only prior to BE 2012 SP2.

Thank you for your reply

Larry Fine's picture

I believe that CIFS shares CAN be set to be read-only.  Go into the properties of your storage device (DD share) and look for the entry "limit BE to read-only operations".  Change it to "no".

I have no idea why BE would have changed this to "yes" on you, maybe a network glitch?

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

SOLUTION
JShug's picture

Larry,

Thank you that was it and I agree I have no idea how that got changed.

Thank Both of you for your help and input.

Donald Eady's picture

Awesome post Lary... Thumbs up to you sir. 

Jshug... glad to hear tha the issue has been resolved. 

I hope this posting was helpful