Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

BE 2012 Vray License Question

Created: 13 Nov 2012 • Updated: 13 Nov 2012 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I have 4x Dual CPU, 6Core ESXi Servesr in a Datacenter that I wish to backup to a dedup source. I will be buying 8 Vray licenses to cover this. Also an Enterprise Server Option as I will have multiple Media Servers. All fine with this.

At a remote site I have another Dual CPU, 6Core ESXi Server. This will host a Media Server guest with a dedup source and I will be replicating backups from the datacenter to this. I am happy with the logic and setup of this.

Question is... Do I need any BE licenses for the ESXi Server (or guest) at the remote site?

It is my understanding that each Vray license includes a Media Server license that can be installed anywhere, including a physical Server. Also remember i will not be backing up any guests on the remote ESXi Server. This is pivotal to my question. I believe that if I do backup guests on the remote system then I will need vray licenses for it.

Many Thanks

Scott

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

RLeon's picture

If you have access to the Aug2012 version of partner BE licensing guide, according to page 23, under V-Ray Scenario 4, you do not have to buy an extra BE server license for the remote site, but only if it is in a remote site. If you want to also do backups at the remote site, then you will have to but the agent/app licenses.

Generally, whether you install a BE server as a guest VM or on a physical host, it still costs a BE server license. But in your case (according to the V-Ray Scenario 4) you don't have to buy one.

scott.tkit's picture

Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused by it though.

First, the Vray licenses are per CPU so I need 8 licenses to cover my 4 dual CPU ESXI Servers.

Second, where are you saying I have used 4 out of the 8 BE Server + dedup licenses? I only plan on having one BE Server at the DC on a physical box and the other one at the remote site.

Apologies if my post was not clear. I certainly didnt state the number of BE Servers, sorry.

Give this could you please confirm or clarify your answer? Much appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

RLeon's picture

Sorry, I edited my post. Your 8x Vray TierA license is correct for 4 dual cpu esx.

I only plan on having one BE Server at the DC on a physical box and the other one at the remote site.

According to the licensing guide, you are covered. You do not need to buy an extra BE server+dedup license for the remote site, unless you intend to use it as more than just a replication target.

SOLUTION
scott.tkit's picture

Thanks very much. That has answered my questions.