Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

BE 2014 Hyper-V Differential backups of VMs with GRT enabled receive exceptions - no data backed up

Created: 28 Jul 2014 | 8 comments

I've just installed and configured Backup Exec 2014 on a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V server and I'm receiving the following exception when I attempt to run a differential backup of my VMs with GRT enabled:

During Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations, the necessary boot configuration files could not be loaded. Backups that were enabled for GRT may not be available for restore.

No data is available for restore for these differential backups.  Full backups succeed without issue.  This exact error happens on both environments that I've installed BE 2014.  Guest VMs are all Gen 2 VMs and both have 2012 and 2012 R2 guest VMs.

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

tundrageek's picture

Thanks!  I reviewed the KB and I don't see that it applies.  VMs are supported OSs (2012 and 2012 R2) with no reported disk issues - VMs are online and running at the time of backup.

I'd normally call in for support, but we're in a trial mode with these before having our clients buy the product, so I have no support options.

R.M.H's picture

I am seeing this happen on fulls, but not after installing the agent on the VM. Same situation Win 2012R2 VM running on a Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster.

MusSeth's picture

hi,

are you getting an error with a VM which is a Domian controller as there is a known issue going on,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217612

R.M.H's picture

I don't know about tundrageek, but my VM was a normal member server.

tundrageek's picture

I'm seeing the same error on both domain controllers and member server VMs.

MusSeth's picture

I would request you to open a support case for us to review the logs and see what exactly is happening

idksna's picture

We've got the same issue with the following setup:

- 2x IBM System x3650 M4 servers;

- 1x Running VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 1 with the latest patches

- 1x Running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with the latest updates, VMware vCenter 5.5 with Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Service Pack 1 and the latest updates.

There are 4 guests running on the VMware ESXi server are:

- 1x Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with the latest updates in EFI mode as Domain Controller - This server produces the exact same error as above;

- 1x Microsoft Windows Server 2012 in EFI mode as Exchange Server with Microsoft Exchange 2010 Service Pack 3 Update Rollup 7 - This server produces the exact same error as above;

- 1x Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 with the latest updates in EFI mode as File- & Print Server - This server produces the exact same error as above;

- 1x Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with the latest updates in BIOS mode as Application & Database Server - This server does NOT produces the exact same error as above, but reports it's backed up successfully.

Please provide some information on howto resolve this issue.The password for the ZIP logfile is in your PM.

AttachmentSize
Job Log BEX_BS01_00058_xml_htm#exceptions.zip 17.24 KB