Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE 9.1 Time Window

Created: 06 Jan 2005 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 4 comments
Anonymous's picture

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the schedulerTime Window function. I would really rather that it worked like itdoes in 8.6. If I schedule a job to run, I want it to run regardlessif it has to run late because some other job ran long.For instance, last night my tape cleaning job didn't run because theuser-systems backup job ran 4 hours longer than usual.Thanks,Greg

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Anonymous's picture

Greg Huntzinger wrote:>I was wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the scheduler>Time Window function. I would really rather that it worked like it>does in 8.6. If I schedule a job to run, I want it to run regardless>if it has to run late because some other job ran long.>>For instance, last night my tape cleaning job didn't run because the>user-systems backup job ran 4 hours longer than usual.>>Thanks,>>Gregwhy wouldn't it run after after the first job completes? my does that andwhen it gets set to queued it runs after the other job finished no matterhow long it lasted.

Anonymous's picture

In this case the whole run was longer than 24 hours. The cleaning jobon the end of the chain never ran.On my system it doesn't matter if the job is set to queued. If thetime window runs out, it gets set to "not in time window". It wouldbe great if I could set up certain jobs not to have the window, just astart time.On 6 Jan 2005 17:19:43 -0500, "Brian" wrote:>>Greg Huntzinger wrote:>>I was wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the scheduler>>Time Window function. I would really rather that it worked like it>>does in 8.6. If I schedule a job to run, I want it to run regardless>>if it has to run late because some other job ran long.>>>>For instance, last night my tape cleaning job didn't run because the>>user-systems backup job ran 4 hours longer than usual.>>>>Thanks,>>>>Greg>why wouldn't it run after after the first job completes? my does that and>when it gets set to queued it runs after the other job finished no matter>how long it lasted.

Anonymous's picture

Greg Huntzinger wrote:>In this case the whole run was longer than 24 hours. The cleaning job>on the end of the chain never ran.>>On my system it doesn't matter if the job is set to queued. If the>time window runs out, it gets set to "not in time window". It would>be great if I could set up certain jobs not to have the window, just a>start time.>>On 6 Jan 2005 17:19:43 -0500, "Brian" >wrote:>all my jobs have a time window of a hal hour. the job before it take morethan a half hour. my jobs just run perfect if they get set in the time window.what if you made you time window 24 hours? if I remember right, the timewindow means the job starts with in this window, as long as it gets queued(if there is another job running before it) then it ignores the window, doesn'tit?"Select this option to specify the time window on any scheduled run day duringwhich the job can begin."if it begins the job and goes into the queue. thus already past the timewindow. it should theoretically stay queued until the previous job completes.then it shoudl run.more important, why are you cleaning so often?

Anonymous's picture

Don't know about the time window thing. I have jobs that fail to run"not in time window" nearly every night, except on weekends. The datathat I backup is very inconsistent and backup times vary wildly fromnight to night.As for the cleanings, this is a DDS4 autoloader drive and with theamount of tape that I put through it, it seems to need to be cleanedevery few days. If I miss one, I start getting hard errors. Thedrive has just been fully rebuilt and Sony said my cleaning schedulesounded about right.What seems to have fixed the problem this time is to delete the joband recreate it.On 7 Jan 2005 11:40:47 -0500, "Brian" wrote:>>Greg Huntzinger wrote:>>In this case the whole run was longer than 24 hours. The cleaning job>>on the end of the chain never ran.>>>>On my system it doesn't matter if the job is set to queued. If the>>time window runs out, it gets set to "not in time window". It would>>be great if I could set up certain jobs not to have the window, just a>>start time.>>>>On 6 Jan 2005 17:19:43 -0500, "Brian" >>wrote:>>>all my jobs have a time window of a hal hour. the job before it take more>than a half hour. my jobs just run perfect if they get set in the time window.>>what if you made you time window 24 hours? if I remember right, the time>window means the job starts with in this window, as long as it gets queued>(if there is another job running before it) then it ignores the window, doesn't>it?>>"Select this option to specify the time window on any scheduled run day during>which the job can begin.">>if it begins the job and goes into the queue. thus already past the time>window. it should theoretically stay queued until the previous job completes.>then it shoudl run.>>more important, why are you cleaning so often?