BE only wants to put one backup on a tape
I've run into an odd behavior with duplicate to tape operations, hoping someone may have a quick bit of insight...
I've had a B2D2T scheme running every Sunday for a few years now. All servers backup to disk and then duplicate to a single LTO tape. The tape has more than enough space for all of our backups. A few hiccups during the years, but no major issues. We recently had some catalog corruption that ended up leaving a few stranded backup sets on our B2D targets and ultimately began to cause backup jobs to fail with odd, inconsistant errors.
After rebuilding the catalogs (incl. a rebuild of the BEDB database indexing), manually removing the stranded backup sets and reindexing all of our media, the backups jobs all succeeded again and life was good... Until it came time to duplicate the weekly backups to tape. We began to see BE demanding we change the tape after only one backup job had been duplicated. (We only have one tape drive.) After changing the tape, the remaining dozen or so backup jobs all duplicate onto the 2nd tape without issue.
The first tape only has the one backup job's data on it which can be confirmed with an inventory/catalog operation and yes I trust that the cataloging is functioning properly again after being repaired. The issue cannot be retention time or append/overwrite settings.
All of this was working using only one tape per week before our cataloging troubles. Now, the first backup job finishes, duplicates to tape and BE demands we change the media. After inserting a 2nd tape, the remaining backup sets all duplicate with plenty of room to spare. I've tried erasing the tape-to-be-used before those weekly backups run, which associates the tape to Scratch media set (which is correct) yet the behavior repeats and after the first backup job of the day completes and duplicates, BE ejects the media and demands a new tape. BE doesn't accept re-inserting the same tape either.
I cannot think of a reason why BE would be demanding new media, I've double-checked all settings at the backup job and the media and cannot find any reason for this behavior. Hoping someone here has some insight.
Thank you all in advance,