Video Screencast Help

BE upgrade to 2014 from BE 2010

Created: 30 Jul 2014 • Updated: 30 Jul 2014 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

We have the following:-

Symantec BE 2010 R3 on Windows 2008 Std SP2 (64bit)

MS SQL express 2005.

We have doing the upgradation of BE 2014. It went through ..the migration was successful no issue foud..but at the time of the intsllation the SQL installation failed.

I have checked the error..here is the error:-

7-30-2014,12:08:24 : "E:\Softwares\BE 2014\Backup_Exec_2014_14.1.1786_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual\BE\WINNT\INSTALL\SQLExpress\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe" /ACTION=Upgrade /Q /Hideconsole /SkipRules=RebootRequiredCheck /INSTANCENAME=BKUPEXEC /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS
+ 07-30-2014,12:08:31 : V-225-53: ERROR: Failed to install SQL Express BKUPEXEC instance with error 5. ***To search for information about this error, click here 
+ 07-30-2014,12:08:31 : Please review C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt for more details.
07-30-2014,12:08:31 : The return value for Microsoft SQL Express returned error code: 5
07-30-2014,12:08:31 : Clean up Symantec installer keys.
07-30-2014,12:08:33 : Terminal Services enabled.
I have done the following as given in the error code 5

Bu still the same problem.

Thanks.
Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

...I've had issues with McAfee causing the SQL upgrade to stall and therefore fail the upgrade.

Stop any AV installed and then run the upgrade again.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
mrinal.sarkar6200's picture

Hi,

We have the macfee AV running..

lrt me stop and let u know..

thanks.

Certified Symantec Professional.

Work mostly with Netbackup, Backup Exec, Storage Foundation, DLO and System Recovery

Mrinal Sarkar

Howrah, India

mrinal.sarkar6200's picture

Hi,

it was like zoom...yes

thank to u...laugh

now every thing is fine now ...installation is successful...

Thanks.

Certified Symantec Professional.

Work mostly with Netbackup, Backup Exec, Storage Foundation, DLO and System Recovery

Mrinal Sarkar

Howrah, India

CraigV's picture

Yeah I have no idea why McAfee does that, but it does.

I have also had it corrupt the bedb during the upgrade process, so bear that in mind in future...

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

dss_thinktank's picture

Because of missing "multiserver tasks", I skipped BE version 2012. Now I have just recently upgraded from BE2010R3 to BE2014. Backing up mulltible servers in one task is possible in BE2014. Also job management seems to be somewhat easier in BE2014.

On contrary to installation instructions of BE2014 I did not disable anti-virus programs on server. I had f-secure running on server  during the upgrade, it did not cause problems as far as I know :).

I had to recreate all windows server jobs as new, I could not get converted jobs of BE2010 to work properly. In BE2010 they where "full -copy" backups but in BE2014 they became some kind of "incremental" even when this option was not selected. Info text stated that "job will not run before first full backup".

I also had to recreate all disk storages as new, I think DLM did not work properly with the imported original backup-to-disk folders.

In BE 2014 removing server from "backup and restore" view has a nasty way of deleting backup jobs, where removed server has at some point earlier been a member. This takes place without any warning.

Except these issues, upgrade went rather smoothly.