Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Hello Triven,

Try to run the command VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS in the command prompt on the Exchange server. It seems that the writers are not stable. If the writer status is failure then reboot the Exchange server and then try the backups.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Triven's picture

Hi Sush,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried as suggested and get the attached. The attached is the only "Last Error" that doesn't come up with the normal 'No Error'. - i hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Wellington.PNG

Kind regards

Riven Associates Ltd

htt

Sush...'s picture

Ok. So you see there is Exchange Writer Failure. This can be one off issue. So try to reboot the server and then run the backups. Also try to update Microsoft patches on the server ...specially the VSS patches.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Triven's picture

Thanks Sush,

I will give that a go and keep you posted

Kind regards

Riven Associates Ltd

htt

Triven's picture

Hi Sush,

I've rebooted the Server but i'm still getting the same errors on my failed backup job.

Any more thoughts?

Kind regards

Riven Associates Ltd

htt

Sush...'s picture

Hello Triven,

Ensure that all VSS patches of Microsoft are updated. If the issue still persist then you can also involve Microsoft to check why their Writers are failing.

If the Writers are not stable then Backup Exec (or for that matter most of the backup softwares) will not be able to take the backups of live Exchange databases.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Triven's picture

Hi Sush,

Just an update, I''ve installed all MS Updates on the server, Backup Exec 12.5 is all up to date (SP4)

I tried logging a call with Symantec as well but unfortunately BE 12.5 is no longer supported.

No upgrade options available either.

I will now attempt to involve MS and let you know how i get on.

Thanks

Kind regards

Riven Associates Ltd

htt