Video Screencast Help

BE2010 Restor of Vsphere - very slow

Created: 02 Jun 2010 | 4 comments
Dragan Knezevic's picture

Hi,

I have a very slow restore of Virtual machines using BE2010.
Configuration:

• vSphere
  • BE2010 with agent for Vmware (backin up using vStorage API)
  • Two diferent environments: FC SAN and iSCSI
  • Backup server has access to SAN disks

FC environment:

• Backup of one VM (about 8GB of data) using SAN transport mode. Backup Job Rate was 2,766.00 MB/Min
  • Restore of same VM with SAN transport mode selected on the top. Restore Job Rate was 232.00 MB/Min
  • Restore of same VM with NBD transport mode selected on the top and. Restore Job Rate was 437.00 MB/Min

iSCSI environment (1Gb LAN):

• Backup of one VM (about 4GB of data) using SAN transport mode. Backup Job Rate was 773.00 MB/Min
  • Restore of same VM with SAN transport mode selected on the top. Restore Job Rate was 174.00 MB/Min
  • Restore of same VM with NBD transport mode selected on the top and. Restore Job Rate was 294.00 MB/Min

In all of these scenarios restore is very slow. Is there any explanation for this?

THANKS,

Dragan

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

cmwong0921's picture

I also encounter this issue, any solutions on the slow restore ?

RABS's picture

Hi all

We also have the same issues!!
Any news?

ZeRoC00L's picture
Dragan Knezevic, cmwong0921 or RABS, I suggest to contact Symantec about this. They can collect some logs for further investigation.

What I can imagine is that a complete virtual server restore means that a backup needs to be restored from tape (this takes time), and first will be placed on the backup-server itself. And then will be copied to the SAN and imported into esx/vcenter.
The two examples of Dragan are an 8 Gb and 4 Gb restore, there are pretty small as Backup Exec will need to do some pre- and post processing jobs.
If you do a larger restore (50Gb for example) will you see much faster transfer rates ?

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

teiva-boy's picture

Have you ever tried to import manually a virtual machine from a local drive on your own computer, or from the network?  

Assuming you have virtual center installed on your local computer, and you do an import of a folder with VMDK's and the VMX file, it is slow!  Really S -- L--O--W.

I have to assume here, that BE is communicating to vCenter and doing an import, which goes through some sort of conversion and validation process.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."