Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE2010R3 - What is the proper way to backup a SharePoint env?

Created: 15 Oct 2012 • Updated: 19 Oct 2012 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Been reading around documentation, forums, and howto's and my question still lingers in my head.  What's the recommended proper way to backup a SharePoint environment?

Is it creating one job backing up the entire SharePoint farm, one job backing up the MS SQL server(s) of the SharePoint farm, and one job backing up the MS Windows server? Is that correct or redundant?

Thanks in advance.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

The best way is to perform a backup of the Entire farm. However, looking at the DR asspect, you might also want to backup the system databases from the SQL instance  (Master, Model and MSDB) using SQL Agent as well.

Additionally, I have seen a lot of SharePoint admins setup a seperate backup job to perform a backup of the config databases (using SQL agent or SQL internal backup method) as it can be easy to redirect the entire config database to a DR or Test site and then attach it manually to SharePoint. However, I am not too sure that this is required and probabely is only a personal preference.

Sush...'s picture

Hello Nuri,

Is it creating one job backing up the entire SharePoint farm, one job backing up the MS SQL server(s) of the SharePoint farm, and one job backing up the MS Windows server? Is that correct or redundant?

This way is redundant. When we select the entire Sharepoint Farm it also selects the Sharepoint databases (which reside in SQL) in the background. So there is no need to select the SQL databases again seperately.

It is a good practise to protect the complete server. So you can create a backup job to backup the MS Windows Server too.

So in case of disaster you just need to reinstall the OS and then restore the C: drive and System State of the server to bring back to the original state. And then just restore the Sharepoint databases.

Refer to the following technotes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73815 : Recovering Microsoft SharePoint 2007 data after a disaster

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73813 : Recovering Microsoft SharePoint 2010 data after a disaster

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

SOLUTION