Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE2012 - Agent for Applications and Databases - how to install

Created: 01 Nov 2012 | 9 comments

We just purchased some additional BE 2012 Agents (3x Agent for Applications and Databases) for our existing BE2012 environment and I cannot figureout how to install these out to some of our already Agent for Windows managed servers.

We have 1 media server and 6 agent managed servers. I need to add the new agent for Apps and DB's to some of the agent managed servers.

I have already added the license to the media server and it shows as installed / activted.

Can someone help on this?

Thanks

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

SuperBrain's picture

Licenses only need to be installed on the Backup Exec Media Server.

Remote machines only need the Agent for Windows installed. (no licenses can be installed on remote machines).

If you have 6 Application and Database licenses, you have to make sure only 6 remote machines have Agent for Windows installed and information from only those 6 machines being backed up using Backup Exec.

cord's picture

I am not sure I really understand this.

I have a total of 1 Media Server

11 Agents for Windows (managed servers) of which only 6 are deployed

We have several servers that have Full Oracle and  Full SQL and then we have serveral servers that have SQL Express. How do I know which ones need the Agent for Apps and DB's?

Also, what is the Applications piece of the Agent for Appications and DB's

Is there a way to tell that we need more licenses.

AmolB's picture

How do I know which ones need the Agent for Apps and DB's?

You need Agent for Apps and DB for the servers which are hosting applications like Exchange, SQL,

Oracle DB.

Also, what is the Applications piece of the Agent for Appications and DB's

In previous versions there used to be specific name for each agent (for eg: To backup 

Exchange the agent was Agent for Exchange and for SQL there was Agent for SQL)

Now there is a generic name Agent for Application and Database.

cord's picture

Also, do the "lite" versions of DB's like SQL Express use the Agent for App's and DB's or is it just the full version?

Is there a way to tell whether or not I need more licenses?

AmolB's picture

Also, do the "lite" versions of DB's like SQL Express use the Agent for App's and DB's or is it just the full version?

Agent for App and DB is required to backup SQL express instance too.

Is there a way to tell whether or not I need more licenses?

Use Backup Exec License Assessment Tool

cord's picture

Got the report to run. However, the results showing for Agent for Windows is not correct.

It shows our 10 licenses purchased but only shows 4 installs. This should be 6 installs. It is missing 2 agent managed servers.

Do you know how to resolve

cord's picture

Got the report to run. However, the results showing for Agent for Windows is not correct.

It shows our 10 licenses purchased but only shows 4 installs. This should be 6 installs. It is missing 2 agent managed servers.

Do you know how to resolve