Video Screencast Help

BE2012: Backup to disk and then rsync to remote location

Created: 23 Apr 2013 • Updated: 26 Apr 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am trying to wrap my head around trying to backup to disk and then rsync to an offsite location. I am backing up Exchage2010(mail store), Active Directory tree, linux fileserver(~500G). All backups are full except the linux server with has diff weedays & full weekeneds.

The goal is to identify which backup file to 

1) Is there a way to label the backup files such that I can zip them together and ship to offsite location?

2) Or does BE provide an easily compressed single-file based backup that I can identify and catalog?

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Never copy or directly backup the B2D data...it's going to mess up catalogs and end up with you possibly not being able to restore at the remote location...not good when you really have to.

Instead, you need to duplicate to your destination, preferably locally to tape/disk. If you have to send it to a remote location, consider optimized dedupe.

That said, BE doesn't give you 1 file like Veeam would for instance. It can do so, but then you need to make your B2D as big as your backup...ie, if you backup 500GB of data, make your B2D 500GB. The problem here is that if you have 1 file and it corrupts, all data is gone, hence BE writing to multiple *.bkf files.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

capriguy84's picture

Thanks for your feedback.

I have this crazy idea, not sure if it would work. But here's a related questions.

If I backup using a BE2012 server in siteA and rsync the backed up data to siteB storage. Can a BE2012 in siteB catalog that backup data? In other words, can a different instance of BE 2012 catalog backedup data?

teiva-boy's picture

Yes it could.

However, the better solution is you have two BE2010/2012 servers, CASO and the dedupe option.

You use CASO to manage the two independent BE servers.

You send backups to BE1 to its local dedupe store

You duplicate backups from server BE1 to server BE2 and its local dedupe store

The data is replicated about 10x more efficient than RSYNC through the use of deduplication and an "Optimzed Duplication," process.  Oh and the catalog is updated for both copies of the data.

If BE1 dies, with CASO you can still perform restores to BE2.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

SOLUTION
capriguy84's picture

Thanks tevia-boy.

The two sites are in two different continents and different domains. There is no trust between domains for some reasons.:(  Moreover the BE2012 is a Vmware guest.

q1: Do you think it is feasible to do the plan you mentioned?

q2: Does Dedupe really need physical RAM? I can add upto 64GB of memory & 8 CPUs.

q3: Is the dedupe disk only location where backups are stored? I thoguht that seed exists on dedupe-disk & other fragments on different disk.

q4: Any hacks to make a network share as dedupe disk?

Lastly, Is there a whitepaper to get details of BE2012 dedupe? Like I know dedupe rquires it's own storage but not sure how it works. (I am going to google for some but if you something in particular that helped you understand it.)

Colin Weaver's picture

I suggest you take some time to read all of the Private Cloud Scenarios discussed in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH172464

When reading the above document any mention of VPN link can be replaced with a WAN link instead