Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BE2012 - Exchange granular restore

Created: 24 Apr 2013 • Updated: 26 Apr 2013 | 10 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

Using GRT technology i'm able to restore a single email...

Is needed to make backup-to-disk and then backup-to-tape to restore that email or can i restore directly from tape ?

I'm using BE2012 SP1a and using Agent for databases and applications.

Thks

Operating Systems:

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

ZeRoC00L's picture

you can restore directly from tape, but the exchange EDB needs to be restored to the temp directory. When that file is restored, BE extracts the mail(s) you selected.

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

hmontero's picture

Sorry, i don´t understand.

Can i select an email from the tape and restore that directly???

so..the EDB file needs to be restored to disk first???

when i try to restore an individual email, the EDB file is restored too???

pls..be patient with me...8)

CraigV's picture

Hi,

When you do a GRT backup to tape, you're able to restore a single item from that tape...BUT, it stages the entire Information Store to disk first (essentially copies it to disk). The default is C:\Temp. If you don't have enough free disk space on your C:\ drive, then you need to move this temp location to a drive with enough disk space free as your Information Store is big. For example, if your Information Store is 50GB in size, make sure the drive has a minimum of 50GB free.

If you backup to disk first before duplicating to tape, there is no need to stage to disk as it is there already. I've seen a document somewhere where Symantec recommend B2D first, and then duplicate to tape for longer-term retention.

Hope this helps?

THanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
hmontero's picture

CraigV..another answer...

You say that first BE restore the information store in c:\temp

1) c:\temp in my BE server or in exchange server???

2) is there a way to change the path to another drive (x eg d:\temp) ???

Thks.

CraigV's picture

Hi,

1. On your media server;

2. Under your Tools menu, there should be a section for MS Exchange and for the temporary staging area...you'd do it there!

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

lmosla's picture

Hi hmontero,

A common practice is to create a duplicate job to put the tape data onto disk.  check out the following link for a how to on restoring from tape by duplicating to disk.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73803&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1366832150299

hmontero's picture

LMOSLA, hello ...in my case i haven´t public folders.

lmosla's picture

I apologize, I should have been more detailed, I only meant to use the referenced link as a 'how to' for duplicating to tape. 

Is this still an issue?