Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

BE2012 GRT-enabled VMWare backups

Created: 26 Mar 2012 | 11 comments
Steve Kratz's picture

My VMWare (and yes, I am now using a paid-license version of ESXi!) backups of the VMHost are backing up, but finish with two different exceptions:

v-79-57344-38747 backup exec was unable to prepare microsoft active directory resources for granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations. Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Active Directory data from this backup

and v-79-57344-38748 (Microsoft Exchange instead of Active Directory).

Logs are showing "NBD" transport mode for these jobs.

RAWS agents are installed on each VM, and were put in place AFTER the VMWare tools were installed.

Clicking the links from the job yields "No answers found"

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

Steve Kratz's picture

Incidentally, I'm backing up about 10 different servers with this one job, in case that's relevant.

CraigV's picture

Hi,

You can ignore the first message about AD unless you actually have the agent.

For the second 1, you're probably using the LAN to backup the servers (using RAWS). Unless it's failing for some reason, you can ignore this too. As long as your data is being backed up, and you can restore, then it's all fine.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Steve Kratz's picture

I can restore the entire VM, but it won't let me crack the backups open to do GRT type restores (from Exchange, individual files, etc.) As a work-around, I'm doing separate agent-based backups of AD, System States, and Exchange... Not real conducive to saving space when you're dealing with 7TB of data.

(Example of what I see if I just back up things from the VM level. I select my vCenter machine, hit restore, and I get a restore VM/VM Disks option. If I click on the server's "Agent" view, and hit restore, I have no restorable jobs other than separate agent-level backups - Nothing granualr can be selected from the VM backup.)

mikedoh's picture

DId anyone ever get a fix for this, sometimes my server backups work (once) and most times i get this error about unable to prepare AD.

Thanks

Colin Weaver's picture

Please log a formal support case for this issue as it almost certainly needs further investigation.

sunnanfjord's picture

I can only restore the entire VM as well. The GRT restore for VMs does not show anywhere. This has to be a GUI issue, right?

Vasilis Peppas's picture

Try disabling the grt options for databases in the job setup. They only  work if you have the agents installed. Otherwise the grt works ( at least with ad that I have tried). There may be a poosibility that because it does not have the appropreate agents installed the job failes to catalog the database and does not try to continue with the rest of the catalog procedure resaulting in the incomplete backups . 

sunnanfjord's picture

Vasilis, do you mean you're able to do granular restores from VMware-backups? I have the agents installed and I use the Application GRT options for SQL, AD and Exchange. If I disable them, I could go for traditional backups instead. However, my backups are completed successfully and I also see that the catalogs are being updated. Even when Application GRT is enabled.

NPZadmin's picture

Hello,

I think I got the same problem:

We just updated from Backup Exec 2010 and added VMware agent licenses. In 2010 we only used "normal" backups with Windows Server Agents and Exchange Agent. Our servers are Windows 2008R2 with Exchange 2007.

for VMware based backup I added our vCenter-Server and created a backup job where I selected only our mail server in the vCenter. In the backup job I selected GRT for AD and Exchange. I got the following exceptions

Medienkennung: IMG000757
GRT-Backup-Satzordner: D:\B2D\IMG000757
Transportmodus 'nbd' für Datenträger 'MAIL2.vmdk' verwendet
Transportmodus 'nbd' für Datenträger 'MAIL2_1.vmdk' verwendet
Transportmodus 'nbd' für Datenträger 'MAIL2_2.vmdk' verwendet
Backup Exec hat 'C:' auf dem virtuellen Computer 'MAIL2.npz.local' erkannt und geschützt.
Backup Exec hat 'D:' auf dem virtuellen Computer 'MAIL2.npz.local' erkannt und geschützt.
Backup Exec hat 'E:' auf dem virtuellen Computer 'MAIL2.npz.local' erkannt und geschützt.
V-79-57344-38748 - backup exec was unable to prepare exchange resources for granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations. Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Exchange data from this backup for '\\MAIL2.npz.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group'
V-79-57344-38748 - backup exec was unable to prepare exchange resources for granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations. Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Exchange data from this backup for '\\MAIL2.npz.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group'.  

In a similar job for our DC I also got the V-79-57344-38747 exception when I used GRT on AD.

When I try a restore job I am only able to restore the VM as a hole, not single files or single mails.

I also tried a "normal" backup on the server mail2 and here I was able to restore single mails or files.

Bye Frank

cruisen's picture

As you see in BE 2012 things has changed. After you set up an esx server to be backup up and you choose the GRT option a new server will appear in your GUI; like it was a physical one When the server was backup up using the Vmware agent, you can restore GRT files and folders by clicking restore on the new appearing server in the interface as it was physical. I hope it helps. I had the same problem, i deletet the server before from the interface so that I could not see it.  

Nigges's picture

Hello,

i stuck in the same situation. I made GRT enabled BAckups of my VMware virtualized Exchage Server.

As i wanted to make a restore test I was only able to restore the whole vmdk files but no singles Items from it.

Until i read this thread i was wondering. If i now choose the Exchangeserver in the Server list i can do GRT restores.

But the Status of the server keeps saying: never backuped up

But of course i did with the vmware agent.

Should that be this way? or is ther an updat which fixes that?