Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

BE2012 restore vmdk file to media server problem

Created: 18 Mar 2013 • Updated: 18 Mar 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I select the destination path is beserver\D:\temp, but actually the restore path is VMVCB::\\vcserver\VCGuestVm\(DC)myvc(DC)\vm\testvm\D:\temp\testvm

anyone know why?

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

Did you select just one VMDK file from inside a VM or did you select the whole of the VM? In other words, in the restore selection list/tree, did you put the check mark against the object that is date time of job, or against the name (or names) of the vmdk files. EDIT: Possibly known issue against http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188010

Also did you use the Browse button to select D:\TEMP or did you type it in?

SOLUTION
cyrusm's picture

Thanks your reply, I select just one vmdk file,in the restore selection list/tree, put the check mark against the vmdk files, and then use the browse button to select the destination path.

Colin Weaver's picture

In that case I think you do have the condition in the TECH article I posted

EDIT: to back up my belief, I just did a test restore of selecting a single vmdk to localserver\H:\TEMP and not the whole VM and I saw this:

Restored 0 files in 0 directories.
Processed 0 bytes in  2 hours,  13 minutes, and  40 seconds.

Which matches the TECH article I provided. In the same job I also saw:

Restoring data to VMVCB::\\10.12.64.146\VCGuestVm\(DC)BEWSEMEA(DC)\vm\MEM01 2008 x64\H:\TEMP\MEM01 2008 x64

which matches what you posted so the two things are the same issue.

VJware's picture

Is the media server virtualized ?

cyrusm's picture

Thanks, I think BE can not restore a single vmdk file.