Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

BE2012 Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR) and domain controllers (dcs)

Created: 11 Jan 2013 • Updated: 03 Feb 2013 | 1 comment
David Hood's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

Is SDR supported to recover a domain controller? I have looked in the manual and although it provides additional information for having to restore SQL and Exchange DBs - there is no mention of any further steps necessary to restore a DC. So i'm wondering:

a) does it work at all? and if so

b) after the restore do you need to perform a restore of AD onto the server?

I'm sure I spoke to a Symantec Engineer ages ago about it and he said it wasn't supported but I am struggling to find any documenation to confirm/deny.

Thanks

Dave

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Yes. SDR does support the recovery of a DC.  When you restore the system state of a DC, a non-authoritative restore of the AD is automatically done.  This is regardless of whether you are using SDR to restore the DC or you are doing a manual recovery of the DC.  You can read the Preparing for Disasater Recovery section of the Admin Guide on how to restore a DC in authoritative or non-authoritative mode.  The difference in these two modes are explained in this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124230

SOLUTION