Video Screencast Help

BE2012 - Symantec removed incremental Backup features in current relase, will it work in next release?

Created: 07 Feb 2013 | 13 comments

Symantec removed the option to backup data incremental by the use of the archive bit.

The only option for incremental backup seems to use the microsoft change journal of the files.
And if this is not working properly the customer must live the crippled product till the next release.

Most of the incremental backups are copying the full amount of data, even if there is no change at all.

Has anyone seen a solution?

Jürgen

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

The Archive bit is still chooseable - in the Backup Definition, edit the properties where you specify full and incremental etc - then click the Files and Folders section in left side bar - there s a drop down in this section to specify Modified time/archive bit etc.

JuergenB's picture

Hi Colin, can you show me the option?
I don´t see it.

i have a synthetic backup with a full backup , following with incremental and Synth Full Backup!
No Option to backup with Archive Bit!

synthBackup.jpg FileIncremental.jpg
Colin Weaver's picture

Ok you did not mention the word Synthetic in your original post - that changes things and the options does not seem to be there.

pkh's picture

Even before BE 2012, when you are doing True Image backups which is the basis for synthetic backups, you cannot use the archive bit method.

JuergenB's picture

OK, i didn´t know that this was missing in BE 2010.

But withouth the option to use the archiv bit, Synthetic Backup is not working as design.
I get a lot of full backup if an incremental is planed and running.

So either Symantec should fix the product or add the archive bit option back to BE 2012.

To wait for the next release is no option.
I have a case on this since 16.01.2013 and still symantec is clueless why this happens.

They even didn´t respond to the case for about 2 weeks.angry
Last week the had a remote session , have seen the crippled softwareinterface missing the archive option and have no idea why this happens.

One of the technican even wanted to switch to archive bit, seems that the technican didn´t know the products "features".

pkh's picture

withouth the option to use the archiv bit, Synthetic Backup is not working as design.

Why do you say this and why do you need to use archive bit?

I get a lot of full backup if an incremental is planed and running.

If you are saying that when you use the modified time method and your incremental backups become full backups, then see my blog below for a possible explanation

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/incr...

JuergenB's picture

Hi,

the problem is that it´s not possible to change the method (modfiy time or archive bit) with a synthetic backup.

I am running Microsoft Endpoint Protection 2012.

And i would like to use a Archive bit.

Colin Weaver's picture

We are checking on the behaviour of Synthetic Backups in 2012 and which backup method should be used in 2012 as there are 3 choices: Modified Time (default), Archive Bit and Using catalogs - as yes we are aware that the choices are not exposed in the BE console - the engineer that owns your open technical support case is asking the questions internally.

pkh's picture

I was wrong earlier.  You can choose the Archive bit method when you do a True Image backup in BE 2010.  However, the True Image backup with Archive bit seems to work like the modified time method in that the archive bit is not reset during the backup.  I cannot imagine BE going out to reset the archive bit when a synthetic backup is done.  I got a feeling that in BE 2010 although the archive bit method can be chosen for True Image backups, it has no effect and the modified time method is used.  Since the modified time method is the only available method with synthetic backups, the backup method selection is not exposed in the BE 2012 GUI.

JuergenB's picture

HI,

i checked the server and the backup job.

Antivirus checks the harddisc one a day at 2:00 AM (Thursday Night)

Incremental Backup is done at 5:00 AM as a incremental with small size (100MB)
Incremental Backup is done at 11:00 AM as a incremental with full size (9.6GB)
Incremental Backup is done at 5:00 PM as a incremental with full size (9.6GB)
Incremental Backup is done at 11:00 PM as a incremental with full size (9.6GB)

Next Antivirus checks the harddisc at 2:00 AM next day (friday night)

Incremental Backup is done at 5:00 AM as a incremental with full size (9.6GB)
Incremental Backup is done at 11:00 AM as a incremental with samll size (118MB)

What logic is behind this crippled software.

Colin Weaver's picture

Hmm I can understand why the AV checks might affect this - (Thusday scenario) your Friday scenario does not make sense though (unless the AV check did not happen at the scheduled time but happened later - have you checked what teh AV operation took place)

Also have you made the engineer that owns your support case aware of the above information?

JuergenB's picture

Hi,

i am not shure if the engineer is aware of the AV.

I have only rarely contact with them, i can add information to the case , but i think they are not reading the case updates on a daly base. more on a weekly one.

the case has severity 2 since 2 weeks and i still have no solution.

The case was open with severity 4 on 16. jan. 2013.

JuergenB's picture

I excluded two folders now from AV, these two folder are the only folder in synth backup.
So i will see the results now.