Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

BE2012SP3: Backup of VMWare VM causes media server to stall

Created: 26 Jan 2014 | 1 comment

While backing up my ESXi 4.1 cluser, the BE media server will occassioanlly freeze up completely: the console doesn't respond past pressing C+A+D, can't RDP or access services/file shares; there's nothing useful in the windows event logs. The freeze occurs approximately once every two-three weeks, usually when the full backups are running (ie over the weekend).

I am backing up our production VMs using NBD with GRT to local deduplication storage on a rotation of weekday incremental / weekly full with 52 week retention period - full is then deduplicated to tape.

I've narrowed down the probable cause to a particular VM (file server that hosts our roaming profiles): I can see this VM snapshot created in VMWare, but not removed because BE has stalled. Media server is running Server 2008R2 with BE2012 SP3 + any updates published to LU. I've tried repairing the media server's installation, as seems to be necessary following the installation of every other Symantec updates. I've also run a checkdisk within the VM, and deleted the snapshot left behind by the failed job.

I could try backing up using the agent within the VM, but I'd rather have it included in the job with the rest of the cluster. Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot further? Thanks

Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Use the procedure in this document to remove the snapshots and see whether it helps

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200709