Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BESR 2010 - install error - "no mapping between account names and security ID's was done"

Created: 27 Jan 2010 • Updated: 07 Oct 2010 | 11 comments

I received this error doing a fresh install of BESR 2010 in Win XP SP3.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no success.  after OK to this message to install seems to complete OK and BESR seems to work OK.  However after reading some posts on the Ghost 15 forums it seems that many users are experiencing this same issue.  Some claim that Ghost/BESR will not copy all data correctly as a result of this error.  A workaround seems to be to reinstall the program or do a repair install using another user account or the Administrator account.  I did this and my install completed OK.

I cannot imagine that there's so many people with bad Windows user accounts.  IMO, this is an issue with the BESR/Ghost installer.  In looking further into this error its a COM+ error with MSDTC.  The controlled registration of SymsnapProviderXP.dll fails and its forced to be registered directly.  Some pages on Technet claim that this message can be safely ignored, but I'm not so sure.

Any ideas?  Thoughts?  Anyone else see this?

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

clay1's picture

BTW, logging back into my regular user account (with admin rights) and doing a repair install results in the same error appearing.  So somehow this doesn't like my user account (or the many others on the Ghost forums).

Maybe its time to revert to V8.5 and forget about 2010 until they release a patch or two....

softdes's picture

Yes but it is not consistent. For instance, when installing BESR 2010 on two machines (clean install of Win7 x64) using the Administrator account, one will display the error message, the other won't.

clay1's picture

Not resolved.  Uninstalled again.  Ran uninstall.bat tool.  Reinstalled.  Same issue with "no mapping between account names and security ID's was done".  Installs finishes successfully after this error.

Here's the Event Viewer error for COM+

Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    COM+
Event Category:    (99)
Event ID:    4459
Date:        2/4/2010
Time:        10:47:57 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:   
Description:
Controlled registration of this component failed. It has been registered directly. If you are not using partitions you can ignore this warning. If you are using partitions you may need to add support components that are required before controlled registration of this component can succeed. Check your documentation for details.C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\SymSnapProviderXP.dll

Process Name: dllhost.exe
Comsvcs.dll file version: ENU 2001.12.4414.702 shp

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

clay1's picture

Well, since I appear to be receiving little help on this forum :(, I'll tell you what I discovered and maybe you can relay to the BESR development team.

This issue with "no mapping between account names and security id's was done" during the BESR 2010 install is likely caused by a problem in your Installshield routine.  Perusing the Installshield developer forums, it seems that this type of issue can occur if not careful with the install routine.  Installshield has notes and knowledgebase articles discussing this very issue.

I also found the following which stands out in the BESRinstall.log file.  Notice the Installshield error message just before COM registration begins.  Unfortunately, the log file does not record the COM+ registration error.  BTW, I've followed whatever Installshield says I can do on my side and this doesn't help the problem.  See here:  Installshield

Property(S): INSTALLDIR_OK = 1
Property(S): INSTALLLEVEL = 300
Property(S): ISSCRIPT_VERSION_MISSING = The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine.  If available, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your support personnel for further assistance.
Property(S): ISVROOT_PORT_NO = 0
Property(S): IS_COMPLUS_PROGRESSTEXT_COST = Costing COM+ application: [1]
Property(S): IS_COMPLUS_PROGRESSTEXT_INSTALL = Installing COM+ application: [1]
Property(S): IS_COMPLUS_PROGRESSTEXT_UNINSTALL = Uninstalling COM+ application: [1]
Property(S): IS_PROGMSG_XML_COSTING = Costing XML files...
Property(S): IS_PROGMSG_XML_CREATE_FILE = Creating XML file %s...
Property(S): IS_PROGMSG_XML_FILES = Performing XML file changes...
Property(S): IS_PROGMSG_XML_REMOVE_FILE = Removing XML file %s...
Property(S): IS_PROGMSG_XML_ROLLBACK_FILES = Rolling back XML file changes...
Property(S): IS_PROGMSG_XML_UPDATE_FILE = Updating XML file %s...
Property(S): IS_SQLSERVER_AUTHENTICATION = 0
Property(S): IS_SQLSERVER_USERNAME = sa
Property(S): InstallChoice = AR

clay1's picture

Bump.  Just tried the BESR 2010 trial on another Vista x64 machine.  Same issue.  I cannot be the only one!!!!

skrpune's picture

I had a user call in with this issue of their normal (administrative) log on account not working for administrative rights on an installation of a different piece of software, and the workaround is to create a new administrative user account and use those credentials.  I can't promise it will work for you, but it worked it in his case...

clay1's picture

The fix is to make sure that none of your user accounts has a space in the username.  That means if you have a user account like "John D" it will cause BESR 2010 to give the "no mapping" error.  As long as your usernames are "John_D" or "JohnD" you'll be OK.

Unix users will agree from the get go, since spaces are illegal in Unix OS's.  Microsoft on the other hand is OK with spaces in usernames.

This issue has been reported to Symantec support and they are working on a fix.  probably will come with V9.02.