Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

BESR 8.0.4 Desktop appears to run, then new physical PC will not start :(

Created: 28 May 2009 • Updated: 23 May 2010 | 7 comments

I'm doing a test restore of physical to physical (different hardware) with BESR 8.0.4 Desktop.
I made a custom SRD from the PC, then placed it and a USB drive containing a backup to the 2nd physical PC to which I wanted to test restore.
The restore process appeared to run normally -- I left all the defaults, did not change anything.
When I rebooted the PC, it keeps asking me for an OS choice -- WinXP Pro or Win XP/2003.

Could I have taken out the CD too soon??
The PC which I am test restoring has 2 drives in RAID 1 and the second PC to which I am restoring has only 1 hard drive.

Why is the 2nd PC to which I am restoring not booting up??

Thank you, Tom

P.S. The backup image imports just fine into VMware Workstation 6.5.x via VMware Converter 4.x.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Gilly-Bhoy's picture

Hi Tom,

Have you checked the boot.ini at the end of the recovery process?
Does it reference both OS choices?

Cheers,
Gilly

**Please mark as solution if indeed it is**

TomMLS's picture

Can't even get that far...it shows the choices, I pick one, then it restarts itself.
It shows the boot choices but it doesn't boot in at all.

Gilly-Bhoy's picture

Hi Tom,

I meant to check it in the BESR console screen BEFORE you click exit and the server subsequently reboots.
Under one of the tabs on the left (might be utilities) there should be the option to edit boot.ini
If you boot the server again with the SRD you should be able to check it even at this stage

Gilly

TomMLS's picture

I also learned from Symantec that the drive must be wiped clean -- partitions removed, first track wiped, etc.

Testing now...first try stopped at 32%, kept prompting for recovery disk, then cancel makes it error with EA73002 (I think I wrote this right), can't find driver database directory...

Think my current test has it reboot, can't remember.

Will ask Symantec about this and repost here.

Thank you, Tom

Gilly-Bhoy's picture

That's very unusual Tom.
It's rare they stop midway! Would the CD be scratched/dirty?

Gilly

TomMLS's picture

Defective disk!! Some kind of circular spot on the CD side...Re-burning and will try again...Thanks again!! :) :)  tom

TomMLS's picture

I think I have a second one that I can try with...hitting cancel gives an error about not being able to find the driver database directory...
I will also ask Symantec...Thanks!!