Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Best practice of connecting the 5220 appliance to corporate network

Created: 20 Nov 2012 • Updated: 12 Dec 2012 | 2 comments
Rami Nasser's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All ,

- Appliance 5220 (Model D) means contains 1G port 3 8G FC ports and 1 SAS port for the storage expantion

- Appliance version :2.0 ( going to reimage the appliance to version 2.5 before start the configuration)

- Tape library

-  10 esxi hosts(VMware configuration)

My understanding:

I 'm going  to connect the appliance using 1G port to the corporate Network.then reimage the appliance to the version 2.5 after deattaching the storage expantion from the appliance.Then after finishing the reimage proccess I will attach the storage expantion and connect one 8G port from the appliance to SAN switch for VMware Backup and one 8 G port to other San switch for connecting the appliance to the Tape library. 

My concerns are:

1. Is the connection what I mentioned the best practice for connecting the appliance 5220 to the netbackup environment?if not please advice

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

2. For VMware Backup using the appliance: No need to have windows  media server as vmware backup host but there are needs for zoning (Vmware backup host )the appliance to the SAN (ESXi datastore ), also it should be different than zoninig the 8G port for connecting the tape library (in case I didnt connect the port directly to the tape library.Is this correct ? Are there any additional configuration for this ?

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

3.I will configure the roll of the appliance as master server.Is this mean that it will be works as master server and media server in the same time?

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

Appreciate your patient

Regards,

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

Hi

Hopefully this will help:

1. There are 6 x 1g networks on a N5220 - use at least 2 of them and bond them for performance and resilience

2, You have at least 2 x 8G fibre ports on it. Use one for tape and one for VMWare backups. Both are in the correct mode so once you have connected and zoned them just go to Manage - FibreChannel - Scan and it will detect everything that you have attached - no need to do anything else except run the device config wizard

3. That is correct, if you just have this one appliance it will act as both Master and Media Server

Hope this helps

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

SOLUTION
Rami Nasser's picture

Thanks for responce.

" 1. There are 6 x 1g networks on a N5220 - use at least 2 of them and bond them for performance and resilience "

Yes NIC1 for laptop(initial configuration);NIC2 for corporate network and slot 1 contains 4 1G ports.

- Do you suggest to connect two of them to the corporate network and through initial configuration bond them using the default bonding type balance-alb or I have to change this type?

- what about connect 2 ports to the corporate network and during configuration choose Auto instead of define the aggregation link manually?

" 2, You have at least 2 x 8G fibre ports on it. Use one for tape and one for VMWare backups. Both are in the correct mode so once you have connected and zoned them just go to Manage - FibreChannel - Scan and it will detect everything that you have attached - no need to do anything else except run the device config wizard "

Yes ,but there are some exeption here: in version 2.0 I can use only slot 3 for tape out and the other 2 8Gports can be used for VMware.In version 2.5 I can use any port for the tape out.After disscussion with Symantec support they recomend me to use the appliance as media server without reimage the appliance to version 2.5 because there are some problems the the USB stick 2.5 what I have which may affect the upgrade proccedure.I believe that this reommendation is logic and easier than facing any issue during upgrade. one thing more here is that the netwok team will ask me about WWN for the FC ports for zoning the appiance through the SAN. Do you thing that I can find WWN in the back panel of the appliance or there are command should be run inside the appliance?

Thanks