Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Best Practices using Backup Exec 2012 writing to a Quantum NDX8

Created: 11 Dec 2012 • Updated: 11 Dec 2012 | 5 comments

Hello.  I have been using Backup Exec for quite some itme, though admittedly, it's taking some time to manuever in 2012.  Anyway, I recenty replaced my backend hardware from tape to a Quantum NDX-8 that then writes to an ejectable RDX drive/Catridge. 

My question is, what is the best practice here as my NDX-8 keeps running out of space (It's 8 TB).  I calculate that with everything I am right along the 1 to 1.5 TB line.  Along with standard servers, I also have a Citrix XenServer 6.1 environment that has a few hosts.  I'm just wondering what is the best setup as the old way of doing fulls and incrementals is running me out of space and incomplete.  I did figure out the RDX is simply an option to select add a stage and do the backup to disk option.

Any thoughts are welcome as I'm having a hard time getting the right config down.  Since this was a replacement, wondering if I'm better off wiping out Backup Exec's database and starting fresh.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I hope that you are aware that your NDX-8 is not found in the HCL and hence it is not supported.

XenServer is also not supported.  The only way that you can backup the VM's is to install the RAWS and back them up as if they are physical servers.

teiva-boy's picture

NDX-8, not supported, does NOT mean it doesn't work!  This blanket statement is misleading and wrong advice.

What the correct statement is, is that Symantec has not been able to test that particular device for operation.  In lieu of that run the B2Dtest.exe program to verify compatibility and Symantec based on it's output will support the device on a best effort basis.  The support site has more info on that tool.

That said, it's a NAS, no different then other NAS devices.  Check your permimssions, your authentication, write to a UNC path, and it's no different than JoeNAS or BOB'sNAS.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

pkh's picture

NDX-8, not supported, does NOT mean it doesn't work!

Did I say that it does not work???  I am just warning the user that he is using an unsupported device with all the attendant problems.

Smileyville's picture

Thanks all, I appreciate your initial responses.  I have been successful in getting Backup Exec 2012 and the Quantum NDX8 to work together as well as write to my USB attached RDX drive from the NDX8.  Additionally when looking at this initially, I did ask the question on compatibility and there is also deduplication licenses available from Backup Exec to be used on this hardware, or at least I was told by sales people.

My main question is best practices as my current backup regimen which was basically legacy but pulled forward when I moved to 2012, is causing me to run out of space, so thinking that I need to simply go to a full-overwrite mode, tweak the Incrementals.

As far as XenServer, yes, I am using the RAWS to get the regular Windows files and am looking at other solutions as far as backup / restore as I did come to the realization that this won't work in Backup Exec currently.

Thanks

pkh's picture

Your space problem is probably related to this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can...

You should start a support case to get the orphan fix.