Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 07:22 PM

Hi

Im running SEPM 12.1, with mix of 12.1 and 11 clients. Mostly version 11 at this stage.

I have created a group and testing some policies to disable NTP and PTP for a particular reason.

I have disabled Firewall policy, by unchecking the tick box "Enable This Policy".

Did the same for Intrusion Prevention policy.

Updated the policy on the client, but still showing as all three items (AV, NTP, PTP) as "ON". Rebooting PC made no difference.

Not keen on doing reg hacks to get this working. Would like to do this via SEPM policy.

Also dont want to use SEPM commands, as i need to permanently disable NTP and PTP.

My last resort will be to upgrade the v11 clients with v12.1 clients, with NTP and PTP feature removed.

Any other way i can achieve this via SEPM policy?

Thanks, DM.

• 2.  RE: Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 07:32 PM

Withdraw the policy completely so one is not applied.

I believe even though you unchecked the policy so it's not active, the feature will still show as ON.

Read thru this:

Withdrawing a policy from a group

• 3.  RE: Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 07:33 PM

try this

How to add or remove features to existing Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client installations

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH90936

• 4.  RE: Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 07:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Brian.

So what is the differece between "Withdrawing Policy" and NOT enabling the policy?

Thanks again,

DM

• 5.  RE: Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 07:41 PM

Hi Rafeeq

Thanks for the response.

Im going to leave this option as my last resort. Still prefer to do this via the Policy way...

Thanks

DM

• 6.  RE: Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 07:53 PM

even if you uncheck the policy, it would still investigate all packets but would just bypass them..

if you dont want it, dont use it, this will reduce the processing load.

• 7.  RE: Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 07:56 PM
    HI, Withdrawing a policy you can withdraw the policy instead of deleting it. If you withdraw a policy, it is automatically withdrawn from the groups and locations, But the policy remain in the database. you can use that policy later Please check this Performing the tasks that are common to all policies Article:HOWTO80771 Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80771 Regards MK

• 8.  RE: Best way to permanently disable NTP and PTP from SEPM (v12.1)

Posted Jul 24, 2014 08:36 PM

Withdrawing the policy allows all traffic to pass freely without inspection.