Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BEWS12.5 Encryption

Created: 13 Mar 2010 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 4 comments
jez Draper's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi
I have clinet with sbs2008 BEWS12.5 backing up to DAT72.  Things have been running great backing up 35 GB of stuff every night.

I switched on 128BIT encryption and now the backup gets to 31,669,000,000 and asks " please insert overwritable media"

HAs the encryption made the data too large for the tape drive?? I have been searching for info regarding the effect of encryting bews jobs on the size of dtaa and unable to find anything

look forward to hearing from you

thanks

Jez Draper

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rick Johnston's picture

Jez,

What has happened is that once you enabled encryption on your backup job, hardware compression can no longer compress the data so you have run out of space.

If you are using encryption with Backup Exec, you must configure your backup job to use Software Compression.  This is due to the fact that encrypted data cannot be compressed.  Software compression works to compress the data PRIOR to it being encrypted.

Hope this helps.

Rick

SOLUTION
teiva-boy's picture

Rick Nailed it.  Awesome response Rick.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

Rick Johnston's picture

After we experienced exactly this issue, I added this scenario as a test question that I use when doing pre-employment screening for our system engineers!

jez Draper's picture

thank you for this i have reconfigured the backup to use software compression and its now at its verify stage so its backed up the data successfully.

thanks again

This forum rocks!!

Jez