Video Screencast Help

BK2010 System State, Registry, etc.. Worth backing up?

Created: 15 Feb 2011 • Updated: 17 Feb 2011 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Out of curiosity, how often has recovering files from a: system state, shadow copy, or the registry been useful?  I’m heavily considering using just the agent-less backup feature for VMware VMs, but unfortunately this agent-less backup doesn’t backup system state, shadow copy, or the registry. 

I’m just trying to get a feeling for how often/useful backing up these areas of Windows has been for other BK admins.  Please share your thoughts if you have time.  For what it's worth the disasters that I've encountered have been complete messes, with a rebuild being the only option/set of full backups from tape.

Thanks

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

System state backup will be used only during disaster recovery but if the server you backing up

is a DC then the system state will also include the AD database. For DC system state backup

is must.

SOLUTION
Ken Putnam's picture

For  Non Domain Controllers, it depends on whether you can afford the time to build out the server again manually and then do data restores or whether you want to do a DR type restore. (even if you do not plan on using IDR)

For DCs, you really do need to get the system state, since this includes all the AD info

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"