File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Blue Screen with PGP WDE 9.10.0 and 10.1.2

Posted May 10, 2012 10:36 AM

I have 178 users running WDE 9.10.0 and 10.1.2 connected to a Universal Server running 3.1.0. I've had these problems with both versions of WDE and with Windows XP and 7.

About once a week, I'll have a user start to get BSODs in Windows XP SP3 and 7 SP1. The computers are configured to restart when the BSODs come up so I never know what the messages say. After the first BSOD it will restart as Windows is starting up. Most of the time, I can decrypt the disk using the Recovery CD and Windows will boot fine, then I can reencrypt. Sometimes, I have to decrypt with the Recovery CD and then go into Recovery Console from the Windows Install CD to run CHKDSK /RF and it will boot and I can reencrypt.

Is there a way to run CHKDSK from a CD while the disk is still encrypted? Some of my computers take 8 hours to decrypt and I'd like to try to reduce the time it takes to resolve these issues for my users.

• 2.  RE: Blue Screen with PGP WDE 9.10.0 and 10.1.2

Posted May 10, 2012 12:00 PM

I don't know how this could be done with chkdsk, unless you can boot.   But a SpinRite software tech has told me their software can work on an encrypted disk.  I tried it with no problem some time ago; with his help made a bootable thumb flash drive to do it.  In my case it found no errors and caused no problems, but it took a very long time to complete - so is probably not of help on the timing.