Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Blue screen on startup - any SEP 12 version - windows 7 64 bit, Lenovo T420

Created: 13 Jul 2012 | 17 comments

Hi.

I've had this problem on my machine since SEP 12 was released. It's not been experienced on any other machines but I'm one of a handful running windows 7, all others still use XP.

I've rebuilt the OS on my laptop 3 times now to try and pin point what this is and if indedd it is SEP causing the blue screen - and it is.

If I install SEP it can be fine for maybe a week, even 2 weeks but then the blue screen appears on startup and I have to system restore. Tried the very latest SEP 12 version too thinking the issue might have been resolved but it hasn't..

this happens on the cleanest of cleanest builds - without software loaded, other than drivers. Fully windows updated. Up to date drivers.....tried it with older drivers too....

any ideas? It's very strange - I've just been running for 3 months now without SEP and machine is fine.... put it on again 2 weeks ago and got blue screen 5 days later..... rebuilt machine again and stuck SEP on....was good for 3 days and did the same.... I've just rolled back machine and removed SEP so I can get on with some work.

Anyone any ideas? I thought maybe Intel wireless drivers from Lenovo before as I'd seen some issues reported on those, but I'm running the very latest now from Intel.

Comments 17 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Memory Dump is necessary to analyze the root cause of BSOD.

I would strongly suggest to open a support case and provide them memory dump, image if required.

Support can reproduce the issue. They can try to identify root cause & culprit.

Loa a web case or call support.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

How to Create and Validate a SymAccount for using Symantec's MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31127

How to update a support case and upload diagnostic files with MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71023

OR

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:
United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000
Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp   India: Toll-Free 000 800 4401 456

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Thanks for that.

If possible please PM me case number. If it's with my team I can check more details.

Chetan Savade

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

outrunred's picture

Not sure I'm going to get any joy through support as they've just blamed it on a definition problem from yesterday - which doesn't explain the persistant issues I've had for the past 6 months.....

It would seem they didn't even read the description I sent which explained this

:-(

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Please reply back by stating that you are aware about yesterday issue.

Request for phone call & you will definitely get call back.

I will keep an eye on your case.

Chetan Savade

outrunred's picture

Hi.

ok - so that weekend my hard disk failed on my laptop - I thought great, maybe the hard disk was the cause all along....I would've been happy with that.

so got a new hard disk - rebuilt - reinstalled SEP 12 again.... fine for 2 days

then BAM.... blue screens start-  I've let support know.... waiting for response

thanks

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Thanks for an update.

After replacing HDD also facing the same issue, please ask support engineer to review the memory dumps.

Memory dumps can give an idea why it's causing BSOD.

I have reviewed support case also.

Chetan Savade

outrunred's picture

Ok - Symantec say that this is possibly a product problem as they may have seen something in my dump file that they have seen with other machines.

They have given me a beta version of the next release to test with to see if it's resolved....

it's installed.... fingers crossed - will keep you posted

Dushan Gomez's picture

what is the BSoD looks like ?

because I'm having similar issue but not sure if it is related to this issue as well.

Dushan Gomez
IT Manager
VCP 4 and 5 | MCITP Exchange Server | MCTS SharePoint Server | MCP Windows XP

outrunred's picture

Hi Dushan

I haven't got the details of the BSoD as this has been happening for such a long time and I've rebuilt my machine several times.

However, it happens after installing any version of SEP 12 (but not previous versions), but not straight away. Everything will be fine for 2-3 days, then - BAM...on startup BSoD whilst it's starting up. Only way to resolve is to start in safe mode and restore to an earlier point....then remove SEP.

I've seen other issues around and there are other fixes for issues similar to mine, such as updating WiFi drivers.....but in my case this isn't the problem

so far on the BETA version everything appears good....I'm 2 days into it.... If by Friday I haven't BSoD'd then I'd say my problem is resolved

Dushan Gomez's picture

cool, thanks for the update !

Dushan Gomez
IT Manager
VCP 4 and 5 | MCITP Exchange Server | MCTS SharePoint Server | MCP Windows XP

John Santana's picture

Can you share what version of beta client is this you installed ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

outrunred's picture

Hello

Yes - the Beta client version is  12.1.1959.1959

and no BSOD so far.... look like the fix will be in the next full release at least

John Santana's picture

Sounds great mate,

thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.