Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Greg_Vic's picture

Greetings

I am trying to resolve an issue with our SMP server. We recently installed the SP2 MP1 update to our CMS 7.1 server. Our environment is a single install of SMP on Windows 2008 R2 Standard. No site servers – the only thing that is external to our SMP is the database.

In our organization, we use the boot automation folder rather than PXE which has been working well since the recent update. When we performed the SP update we encountered an issue where we could not deploy out our software packages. Since we do not have a package server, this issue was resolved by uninstalling the package server in the SMP. I am unsure if this has any relation, however since removing the package server, I now cannot get a system to reboot to automation. This was working both post and prior to the SP2 MP1 upgrade. If I initiate either an image deploy task or even a simple reboot to automation, the Agent on the targeted PC gets the command but never does anything. I simply get a Failure – return code 1. 

I have determined that if I completely remove the agent by performing a AeXAgentUtil.exe /uninstallagents /clean command, and then push the agent back to the PC, I can successfully reboot that PC to automation. Our image does include the Altiris agent as well as the automation folder, although it is likely an older version now since we did the SP2 upgrade. I have ensured that the Deployment Automation upgrade plugin is enabled and is targeting all computers requiring the plug-in upgrade.

Any ideas why the PC will not boot to automation? I've included the agent log in the hopes it will shed some light on the problem

SaschaH's picture

Quite old thread but still trying to answer. They wont boot because files in the automation folder package differ. At least the snapshot.xml says so, my best guess would be to recreate the automation preboot configuration. This is the part of the Log where things go wrong. There is a different timestamp on some of the files and it cant download the right ones. Also the old snapshot file on all the clients is different then on the NS. Maybe you changed some files in the automation folder while it was on the package server share?

<event date='Dec 19 11:59:42' severity='4' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDelivery' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11412143' >
  <![CDATA[Deleting 1 files removed from the package]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:42' severity='2' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDelivery' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11412159' >
  <![CDATA[Time stamps on 1 file(s) do not match the snapshot, download these files again]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:42' severity='4' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDownload' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11412159' >
  <![CDATA[Download Package from: http://smps.domain.domain.domain/Altiris/NS/NSCap/Bin/Win32/X86/Deployment/Automation/PEinstall_x86]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:46' severity='4' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDownload' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11416558' >
  <![CDATA[Download Package complete: downloaded 271995296 bytes at 24726845 bytes per second, used 0 bytes from cache]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:46' severity='2' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDelivery' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11416558' >
  <![CDATA[Some downloaded files have timestamps that do not match the snapshot. The timestamps on these files will be changed to match the snapshot, to prevent excessive network activity.]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:46' severity='4' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDownload' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11416558' >
  <![CDATA[Download Snapshot: http://smps.domain.domain.domain/Altiris/NS/Agent/GetPackageSnapshot.aspx?PackageId={32E05BA6-FFD1-4ED5-813D-CFC29788B8AE}&PkgVersion=1355312131&NoCache=true&compress=1]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:47' severity='4' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDownload' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11416792' >
  <![CDATA[Download Snapshot complete: OK]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:47' severity='1' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDelivery' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11416792' >
  <![CDATA[Error while downloading package: Package files do not match the package snapshot. Unspecified error (-2147467259)]]>
</event>
<event date='Dec 19 11:59:47' severity='4' hostName='C02335' source='PackageDelivery' module='AeXPackageDelivery.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1500' thread='1416' tickCount='11416792' >
  <![CDATA[End download for package: Deployment Automation Folder {32E05BA6-FFD1-4ED5-813D-CFC29788B8AE}]]>

 

 

Bechtle – your strong IT partner. Today and tomorrow

If that seems to help, please "Mark as Solution"