File Share Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

bootguard loading stage 2... Internal error accessing disk 0x00000080

• 1.  bootguard loading stage 2... Internal error accessing disk 0x00000080

Posted May 20, 2011 11:14 PM

While running a company program that checks the laptop, the Lenovo laptop "blue screened". Now it boots up and reports "bootguard loading stage 2..." which is normal, but instead of asking for my password, it goes to "Internal error accessing disk 0x00000080" "Cannot continue" "Press any key to halt the system"

The PGP Recovery Disk (I'm running V10.1) acts like the disk is not encrypted, as it will boot up, then say, "PGP Recovery Disk" "Press any key to search for PGP WDE installation." It then searches the Hard Disk drive for about 45 minutes before coming back with "Could not recognize PGPWDE installation on the disk, unable to continue".

All articles I read indicate that the Recovery CD should boot up to "PGP Recovery Disk Press any key to continue.." and then go to some utility or a command line...I only wish I could.

I tried to slave the drive to another Windows XP system, but it doesn't recognize it, I tried a Windows 2000 and it sees the drive under "My Computer" but it cannot access it, it just wants to format it. I tried using an Unbuntu Recovery CD and mounting the drive as ntfs, but it reports the ntfs signature is missing.

I'm getting desperate, my company pushed this PGP WDE out, but now I'm regretting that I ever installed it.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: bootguard loading stage 2... Internal error accessing disk 0x00000080

Posted May 23, 2011 12:44 PM

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgp-wde-boot-screen-bypassed-stage-2-initializing-loader-error-cannot-authenticate-bootguard-

This addresses the issue that you are seeing. There is an Service Pack that was released to PGP/Symantec customers for this issue. You just need to contact support and create a support case to be authorized access to the download.

- Ben

• 3.  RE: bootguard loading stage 2... Internal error accessing disk 0x00000080

Posted Aug 23, 2011 04:56 PM

I clicked on the link but it is dead.

Any suggestions?

• 4.  RE: bootguard loading stage 2... Internal error accessing disk 0x00000080

Posted Aug 23, 2011 06:15 PM

• 5.  RE: bootguard loading stage 2... Internal error accessing disk 0x00000080

Posted Aug 23, 2011 06:50 PM

Thank you I will check it out.