Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

bpflist returns "no entity was found" for existing backup id

Created: 28 Nov 2012 • Updated: 29 Nov 2012 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Background: I have an Oracle 10gR2 database that runs on a Solaris 10 server.  Backups go through NetBackup 7.1 which runs on a Windows server.

When I run the bpimmedia command for my production Oracle database, I see information like this:

bpimmedia -policy ORA_PASPROD -L

Backup-ID            Policy     Type  RL  Files   C  E  T  PC  Expires
Copy Frag    KB Type Density FNum      Off       Host       DWO MPX Expires          RL MediaID
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

st31bora01_135409264 ORA_PASPRO UBAK  0   1       N  N  R  1   01:50 12/05/2012
 1   1  1075488 Disk -       -         -         inf-srv17  -   N   01:50 12/05/2012 0  @aaaac
 2   1  1075488 Disk -       -         -         inf-srv17  -   N   01:50 12/05/2012 0  @aaaae
 3   1  1075488 RMed hcart   329       23495432  inf-srv17  2   N   01:50 12/05/2012 0  APA159

...

st31bora01_135262369 ORA_PASPRO UBAK  1   1       N  N  R  3   01:48 12/12/2012
 3   1   102432 RMed hcart   78        8086718   inf-srv17  1   N   01:48 12/12/2012 3  APA208

On the first backup ID, I have a copy on the local DataDomain (Media ID @aaaac), a copy of the DataDomain at the disaster recovery site (MediaID @aaaae) and a copy on physical tape (MediaID APA159).  For the second backupid shown, I see only one copy on physical tape (MediaID APA208).  I need to be able to see the actual file(s) that are within these backups.  I have searched on this issue and found replies that reference the "bpflist" command.  I can run the command without specifying a backup ID and get about 900 line returned.  Unfortunately when I try to specify a backup ID, I consistently get "no entity was found".

The following commands were run from D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd on my NetBackup 7.1 admin server.

-- Show the command works
bpflist -client st31bora01
FILES 8 4          0 1354093506 2 st31bora01 ORA_PASPROD st31bora01_1354093506 - *NULL* 1 0 unknown unknown 0 0 pasprod
1 28049408 33 130 0 1 0 0 -1 /PASPROD_c-1968089396-20121128-01 33200 oraprod dbaprod 28049408 1354093500 1354093500 1354093500 1 0 0 15 13 0 0 3
1354093500 1 4   Oracle Database Oracle Backup 

... and so on for 900 lines ...

-- Try client and backupid
bpflist -client st31bora01 -backupid st31bora01_135409264
no entity was found

-- Try policy and backupid
bpflist -policy ORA_PASPROD -backupid st31bora01_135409264
no entity was found

-- Try backupid with some dates
bpflist -backupid st31bora01_135409264 -d 01/01/2010 00:00:00 -e 11/28/2012 09:08:00
no entity was found

-- Maybe the dates reference the expiry time, put the end 2 years into the future
bpflist -backupid st31bora01_135409264 -d 01/01/2010 00:00:00 -e 11/28/2014 09:08:00
no entity was found

-- Try adding policy type of Oracle
bpflist -backupid st31bora01_135409264 -d 01/01/2010 00:00:00 -e 11/28/2014 09:08:00 -pt Oracle
no entity was found

-- Policy type of Oracle and client but no dates
bpflist -backupid st31bora01_135409264 -client st31bora01 -pt Oracle
no entity was found

-- put the dates back in
bpflist -client st31bora01 -backupid st31bora01_135409264 -d 01/01/2010 00:00:00 -e 11/28/2014 09:08:00 -pt Oracle
no entity was found

-- Try just the -d date that exactly matches the date from the bpimmedia command
bpflist -backupid st31bora01_135409264 -client st31bora01 -d 12/05/2012
invalid command parameter

-- "invalid command parameter" , weird

So I'm stumped.  What does it take to get the bpflist to work?

Ken

 

 

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

khemmerl's picture

If I run the follwoing command:

bpflist -client st31bora01 -pt Oracle -d 1/1/2010 > kentest.txt

Then examine the contents of the text file, I can search and find the backup ID I am looking for:

1 625999872 29 131 0 1 0 0 -1 /PASPROD_df92_20121128_142250 33200 oraprod 
dbaprod 625999872 1354092689 1354092689 1354092689 1 0 0 15 13 0 0 3 
1354092689 1 4   Oracle Database Oracle Backup  FILES 8 4          0 
1354092641 2 st31bora01 ORA_PASPROD st31bora01_1354092641 - *NULL* 1 0 
unknown unknown 0 0 pasprod

Weird that the "-backupid" parameter can't find it.

Ken Hemmerling
Alberta Pensions Services Corporation
Database Administrator
5103 Windermere Blvd. SW
Edmonton, AB T6W 0S9

khemmerl's picture

Damn, I just noticed that the backup IDs are different.  The bpimmedia command appears to have truncated off the last character.

bpimmedia: st31bora01_135409264
bpflist:   st31bora01_1354092641

Ken Hemmerling
Alberta Pensions Services Corporation
Database Administrator
5103 Windermere Blvd. SW
Edmonton, AB T6W 0S9

khemmerl's picture

Using bpimagelist I have confirmed that bpimmedia is reporting incorrect backup IDs.  As noted above, it appears that it is cutting off the last character.

Does anyone know how to change the formatting on the bpimmedia command to allow for a longer batch ID?

Ken Hemmerling
Alberta Pensions Services Corporation
Database Administrator
5103 Windermere Blvd. SW
Edmonton, AB T6W 0S9

CRZ's picture

I'm certain this thread has come up on Connect before, but it's easier for me to just throw you this TechNote:

DOCUMENTATION: How to adjust the Backup-ID column size or the Policy column size when running bpimmedia with the -L or -U options
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH36016

Bottom line is there's some mucking about with the SmeMsgs configuration file but it's mostly painless.

Hope this helps!


bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

SOLUTION
khemmerl's picture

Thanks - that looks exactly like what I need.

Ken

Ken Hemmerling
Alberta Pensions Services Corporation
Database Administrator
5103 Windermere Blvd. SW
Edmonton, AB T6W 0S9