Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Brightmail 8.03 Timer Server Issues

Posted Nov 13, 2009 11:29 AM
    System:Brightmail 8.03 Server
    Plattform:ESX 3.5

Our Brightmailsystem is backuped with Omniback Data Protector.
    We use an offline Backup  (the machine is suspended)

When the backup job has finished the Brightmail system is rebooting and the time sync is lost and the CPU usage is increasing up to 100%.
    As a workaround we renew the timeserver settings and after that CPU usage is normal again.
    In addition to the cpu performance issue the system has the wrong time after the backup. This is a problem when analysing logfiles etc.

So we need a solution that leads to the state that the system syncs itself with the timerservers after reboot autmoatically without any manual configuration.

Is this a known issue?

please help :)
    If you need further informations i will provide them

best regards
    Stephan Gruhn

• 2.  RE: Brightmail 8.03 Timer Server Issues

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2009 12:31 PM
    I would not recommend using that type of backup, is there a reason you can't use the backup feature built into the Brightmail product?

• 3.  RE: Brightmail 8.03 Timer Server Issues

Posted Nov 16, 2009 05:01 AM
    We use the supsend backup additionally to the built in backup feature.
    It seems that the timeserver configuration doesnt work properly at all.
    It does not matter if we use internal or external timeserver - time is not synched.
    Is there a way to use a script that the settings are automatically refreshed after reboot ?
    Somethings like scripts used as cronjobs?? 

• 4.  RE: Brightmail 8.03 Timer Server Issues

Posted Nov 16, 2009 06:26 AM
    Hi,

I'd log a case with support for the time sync issues, perhaps there is something that isn't working quite right there.  Whether that's with the VM instance or the underlying ESX infrastructure, i don't know.  I actually have a few SBG instances (varying releases) in suspended states which don't show the behaviour you have there.

//ian

• 5.  RE: Brightmail 8.03 Timer Server Issues

Posted Nov 18, 2009 10:11 AM
    i have logged a case but now it was said that the "suspend" option isn't supported at all...
    i can hardly belive that, but we now have to change our backup (full shutdown - restart)