Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Brightmail 9 plus Exchange 2003

Posted Oct 21, 2010 11:30 AM

I'm brand new to Brightmail as of yesterday. I'm trying to configure version 9 to work in our AD environment with a aServer 2003 running Exchange. 

I think I've gotten everything configured correctly according the included guides. I've defined  my Directory Datasource, and the Authentication tests pass. All of the tests I can find are succeding, but I can see no evidence that Brightmail is involved in my email environment at all. If i try to run any reports, I get that there is no data. I assume I shold see some indication that it is working. Everything seems to be enabled. What might I be missing?

Mike

• 2.  RE: Brightmail 9 plus Exchange 2003

Posted Oct 21, 2010 12:10 PM

I'm assuming you have gotten mail to flow correctly in testing?

Did you enable report data logging under Admin, Reports, and checked off items under Email Reports Data?

Have you enabled Message Audit logging under Admin, Logs, Local. You need to do this for each scanner.  I recommend Warning for all excepting Mail Transfer Agent = Information.

I'll assume you've setup your local domains under Protocols, Domains, and pointed them at your exchange box.  And that on your Exchange box, you've pointed the Hub Transport at the outbound interface on the scanner(s).

• 3.  RE: Brightmail 9 plus Exchange 2003

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2010 02:25 PM

Have you modified your MX record to point to the Brightmail? You make it sound like you are expecting the Brightmail to be able to pull mail from your Exchange server to scan it. This is not the case. Mail needs to be the first hop into your network for messages coming from the outside world.

• 4.  RE: Brightmail 9 plus Exchange 2003

Posted Oct 22, 2010 05:11 AM

Hello,

If your message flow running exactly with Brightmail you can see some data on Home Page reports. 

If you want more report data you need to check some boxes under Administration/Reports page.

By the way you can track inbound/outbound mails with Message Audit logs that it came with default for 2 days after version 9.

If you want some tests about AD Integration just send some emails from an external mail servers(like gmail,hotmail) to your internal email domain for invalid recipients.

Oykun