Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BSOD in my Acer Aspire 5536-5142 after installing Symantec Endpoint Protection

Created: 13 Jun 2013 | 8 comments

Hi,

I installed Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus from my School's website and have been getting Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) since then. Somebody tride to help me out and managed to uninstall the Symantec Endpoint Protection in the safe mode but still BSOD appears whenever I try to run the laptop in modes other than safe mode. I see the message: "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" before computer shuts down. I can definitely share a picture of my screen in case it will help to solve the issue. Unfortunately I don't have the restore point.

I will really appreciate any help with this!

Best regards, 

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

sandra.g's picture

Do you know which version of SEP your school provided to you?

There is a known issue fixed with the newest version of SEP 12.1.3--it's possible what's causing your crash (which is still loading in normal mode) is what was fixed in this version:

BugCheck 19 (BAD_POOL_HEADER), 50 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA), or D1 (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) references various drivers

Fix ID: 2860505

Symptom: The Symantec Endpoint Protection client experiences various blue screens, including BugCheck 19 (BAD_POOL_HEADER), 50 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA), or D1 (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).

Solution: Updated the SymNetDrv component to avoid a buffer overflow.

(From http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH206828)

There are manual removal procedures which may help you to pull that component, but it will depend on whether you had installed 11.0.x or 12.1.x. This document may be of help--look under the fourth bullet point:

Methods for uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184988

sandra

Symantec, Senior Information Developer
Enterprise Security, Mobility, and Management - Endpoint Protection

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'solved' with the answer that best helps you!

.Brian's picture

If it's 12.1.3 (RU3), you will need to open a support case. Be prepared to submit the BSOD dump as it will aid in troubleshooting.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

.Brian's picture

You're better off working with support on this as they have the experience to determine the root cause and will need to look at the dump as well as the hardware/software on the machine. The BSOD is very cryptic and doesn't tell a whole lot as compared the full dump file.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

sandra.g's picture

I'd suggest speaking to your school for the exact build. If it's 12.1.3 (12.1.3001), which is the latest build to be released, then you'll want to see if they can open a support case on your behalf. If the build number is earlier than that, then the latest build may resolve the issue, and the school may be able to get that for you.

In the meanwhile, you can try to pull out the remnants per the KB article I previously referenced..

sandra

Symantec, Senior Information Developer
Enterprise Security, Mobility, and Management - Endpoint Protection

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'solved' with the answer that best helps you!

PKCSM's picture

Hi,

Thank you for your feedbacks. I still am not sure which version it is and am trying to open the support case. Attached is the BSOD that I am getting.

Best regards

DSCF1053.JPG
Rafeeq's picture

first check the version, the latest is 12.1.3 you can get that from fileconnect. 

that should fix it.