Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

BSOD - SYMTDI.SYS and SEP 12.1

Created: 27 Aug 2012 | 7 comments
DamianGarbus's picture

Hello

I have a problem with BSOD on Windows 2003. After Installation client SEP 12.1 on this machines I receiving BSOD some time a day. It's always gave the same file SYMTDI.SYS of reason. When SEP is uninstalled everythink is ok, But When I install it again problem come back.

I found entry in symantec connect https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ko/forums/... with similar issue but nobody answer.

I discover some old articles before 8 years that it can be caused by old Norton installation, but on this machine never been of Norton.

Can anybody help me?

Best regards.

Damian.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

pete_4u2002's picture

open a support ticket, enable full memory dump.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

The first thing that I would recommend is to install the latest 12.1 RU1 build and see if BSOD still happens. This build should be available to download from your fileconnect account.

If the BSOD's still happen you will need to configure at least 1 machine for a COMPLETE memory dump and then open a case with support to provide this dump for review. Below is documentation on how to configure this dump.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104660

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

How much RAM are you running on the machine?

Suggestions - 

1. Completely uninstall the SEP 12.1 client and reinstall it. This prevents the SYMTDI.SYS from being installed in the first place. (For clients that have yet to be upgraded, removing the 11.x client before installing 12.1 avoids the issue entirely.)

2. Disable SYMTDI through device manager.

Reference: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166243

Secondly, I would suggest you to migrate to the Latest version of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1.

If the above does not help, please create a Case with Symantec Technical Support and upload the full memory dump logs to the case.

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

DamianGarbus's picture

Hello,

I created a case in Technical Support. They tell me that the reason of problem can be the old SEP installation. The administraotr gave info that on this server has never been any symantec product installation. Symantec support suggested to use CleanWipe to remove SEP and one more time install. Now We waitng for results of this. When problem will be resolved I will give info :)

Thanks for help :)

Regards.

Damian.

John Santana's picture

yes please share your knowledge into this forum once you get that information.

Thanks !

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

DamianGarbus's picture

Hello, 

Now I can write that the problem is resolved :) Technical support suggested to me to use CleanWipe tool to complete removal all SEP installation, and install client SEP 12.1 one more time. Now, problem not occur for one week, so the problem is resolved. The reason was old file after old SEP installation.

One more time thanks for help.

Regards.

Damian.

John Santana's picture

ah great, so hopefully they should fix that in SEP v 12.1 RU2

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.