Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

BUE2010R2: Backup Exchange 2010=OK, restore=NOK

Created: 24 Sep 2010 • Updated: 04 Mar 2013 | 4 comments
rendersr's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I'm having the following issue: the backup of Exchange 2010 runs good. But restoring just won't work.

Each time when I perform a restore of a single mail directly from tape, it fails with the following error:

Job ended: Friday, September 24, 2010 at 1:59:12 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

All options are set as described in the Backup Exec Administrators guide.

When I duplicate the backup set to a B2D-folder and perform a restore of this media. The restore is completed succesfully. It has nothing to do with a corrupt backupset as I tested this with more than one.

The backupsoftware (bue2010r2) as wel as the operating system are up-to-date with the latest patches. Also all agents are updated with the latest patches.

The backupdevice is a HP MSL2024 with a LTO4 fiber-atttached tape drive. This device has not given any issues in similar setups. The library as well as the drive are on the latest firmware. As symantec drivers are used as described in the best practices.

Does anyone have an idea what could be a possible solution?

Thanks in advance,

Ruben

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi Ruben,

You basically have the solution which is to duplicate your backup to disk. I have had the same issue since we installed 11D, and then through 12.5 and 2010. The issue is doing GRT backups to tape instead of disk first as far as I know.

Doing it that way doesn't mean you can't restore...it just takes an extra step which you are doing.

I personally prefer to do it this way anyway...

Laters!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
rendersr's picture

It's incredible quite about this thread.

It seems to be that only a duplicate of the backupset is a possible solution.

Are there people having the same issue?

CraigV's picture

It is actually in the Admin guide that when doing a GRT backup to tape of Exchange, duplicating to disk is the only way to restore...when it goes to disk, it is already there, so no need for a duplicate-to-disk job.

CraigV's picture

Hi Ruben,

Did you ever come right here?
It is actually in the Admin guide that GRT backups should get pushed to disk first before being restored...that is the nature of the GRT restore.

Craig!