Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

[BUG] Norton AntiVirus 2011 on Win 7 x64

Created: 06 Sep 2010 | 1 comment

Hello.

DESCRIPTION:
Problem with my Norton AV 2011 on Windows 7 x64.
The product was succesfully installed and updated.
When I start my computer error 1 in module 3043 is returned by NAV, the „intrusion protection“ is disabled, SONAR is disabled and the „product protection“ is also turned off. When I try to enable „intrusion protection“ and SONAR they are not enabled (after returning back to the settings menu they are disabled). When I try to re-enable the „product protection“ error 10057 in module 3040 is returned immediatelly after saving the settings.

CAUSE:
This problem appears when the user profile directory (C:\Users) and the program data directory (C:\ProgramData) are moved to a different drive/partition and there are only "directory symbolik links" (mklink /D) to them on C:\
This should not cause problems to NAV as it does not cause any problems to other applications.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM:
1) Create a new partition, say, D:\
2) Boot from Windows installation DVD and go to the repair console.
3) robocopy C:\Users D:\Users /E /ZB /COPYALL /MIR /XJ /V
4) robocopy C:\ProgramData D:\ProgramData /E /ZB /COPYALL /MIR /XJ /V
5) rmdir C:\Users /S /Q
6) rmdir C:\ProgramData /S /Q
7) mklink /D C:\Users D:\Users
8) mklink /D C:\ProgramData D:\ProgramData
9) Restart

You may need to adjust the above commands to reflect drive letters on your system.

NOTES:
Also present in Norton AntiVirus 2010.
When I move the above directories back to C:\ the problems dissapear.

I hope developers read this and will look at this issue. It is quite a serious problem for me and anybody who wants to separate the user data from OS.

Petr

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

LeslieMiller's picture

You may want to consider posting your comments in the Norton community at http://community.norton.com where they will prabably reach teh correct person. This forum is for users of Symantec's business products.