Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Building WinPE 4.0 boot package to run Ghost on UEFI-based hardware computers using GSS 2.5.1 fix

• 1.  Building WinPE 4.0 boot package to run Ghost on UEFI-based hardware computers using GSS 2.5.1 fix

Posted Dec 12, 2013 11:53 AM

I would like to create a boot package using the instructions below, my problem is that GSS 11.5.1 fix does not contain all the binaries as stated in the article. I have the following files to hand.

• Ghost64.exe (12.0.0.4570)
    • Gdisk64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)
    • GhConfig64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)

I need the following files to complete the package.

• DeployAnywhere64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)
    • DriverManager64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)
    • GhostExp64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)

Symantec support link seems to be unhelpful with this, as my copy of SGG is only trialware.

Please can anyone help?

Description

To proceed, first you need to download the Windows ADK (Windows Automated Deployment Kit) installer from Microsoft site http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=30652 .. 

Follow the instruction given in the Readme under the Installation instructions section to install. (Either begin the installation immediately, or choose to download the files needed to install on a remote computer.)

You must also refer to the system requirements section, which contains the pre-requisites.

Follow the below instructions to create the boot package. These instructions are similar to those in the ADK user guide.

The purpose of this article is to create a Windows PE 4.0 boot package in the form of an ISO image using the GSS 2.5.1.fix that can be written on a USB thumb drive, a CD, a DVD, or used with a virtualization environment as a bootable image.

The WinPE 4.0 cannot be integrated to run within the Ghost Solution Suite, but must be run as a standalone boot. Booting with processes such as PXE cannot be supported at this time.

Create the following directories:

c:\WinPE
    c:\WinPE\Ghost
    c:\WinPE_x64
    c:\WinPE_x64\mount

Copy the winpe.wim from the amd64 folder that is located under the ADK installer directory.

(C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us) to the C:\WinPE folder.

Copy all the ghost binaries provided in the patch into the C:\WinPE\Ghost directory.

Note: The patch binaries that are provided with this GSS 2.5.1 fix do not support 32-bit UEFI computers.

List of ghost patched binaries are as follows:

• Ghost64.exe (12.0.0.4570)
    • Gdisk64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)
    • GhConfig64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)
    • DeployAnywhere64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)
    • DriverManager64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)
    • GhostExp64.exe  (12.0.0.4570)

To get the latest ghost patched binaries please contact Symantec support team at www.symantec.com/business/support/index

• 2.  RE: Building WinPE 4.0 boot package to run Ghost on UEFI-based hardware computers using GSS 2.5.1 fix

Posted Dec 13, 2013 05:54 AM

These Ghost files are only available to holders of a Symantec maintenance agreement, and anyone who was to supply these files to you through the forums would be in trouble for breaching the licensing.

I can only suggest that you contact your Symantec sales rep and ask whether these files can be made available for evaluation. The other possibility is to check out the current Altiris DS software distribution tool as I believe this includes Ghost 12.