Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Can a BE2010 Media Server Point to a Replicated Backup-to-Disk Folder?

Created: 04 Apr 2013 | 6 comments

Good afternoon-

In my environment, I have SERVERA (BE2010 - main site) that backs up servers in my environment to STORAGEA (main site). STORAGEA is replicated to STORAGEB at our DR site. I'd like to have SERVERB (DR site) be able to restore the resources that were backed up by SERVERA in the event of a disaster. When I try to point SERVERB to the appropriate folder on STORAGEB, I receive an "access denied" message. Is this simply because the Changer.cfg and Folder.cfg files are being replicated as well? Is what I'm looking to do possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

...does your array not have a lock on that volume that is being replicated? Ideally you'd simply add in a B2D folder in BE and point it to the path on STORAGEB. Once done, inventory and catalog it and the media server on that side would have access to the B2D.

In this case, is it not worth your while looking into the CASO option and replicating that B2D using BE instead of the array's replication?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Colin Weaver's picture

If doing any form of copy or replication of disk storage date outside of Backup Exec's control then you have to be aware of the information in

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

As such we suggest looking at Deduplication with Optimized duplication within Backup Exec itself to achive what you seem to be trying to do and not replicating outside of Backup Exec's control.

brupnick's picture

As it turns out, my issue was caused by a permission problem on my DR storage. But either way, the link that Colin provided was very interesting and generated a few more questions.

What I'm really trying to achieve with this is a copy of my data at my DR site that can be restored, if necessary, by a secondary media server at the same DR site. SERVER1 and STORAGE1 are at my main site and are responsible for the daily backups of the servers that are also at my main site. SERVER2 and STORAGE2 are at the DR site.

If I use a BE job to duplicate the media set to my DR site, am I correct that SERVER2 still has no knowledge of these files? The database entries would still be on SERVER1, so is this helping to accomplish what I want?

Based on the link, it seems like part of the issue with copying the files over is that the BEDB on SERVER2 doesn't have some of the information that is contained in the BEDB on SERVER1. How does this compare to a tape that is created on SERVER1? If I need to do a restore on SERVER2, can't I just inventory and catalog this tape? Are B2D targets just different animals?

Thank you!

CraigV's picture

...if you're duplicating data across to another B2D using CASO, then there's no reason for the remote site's media server NOT to be aware of the information. You'd have to catalog/inventory the files in order to add them in (possibly), but it should work. That's 1 of the core functions of the CASO...

If it is on a tape level, then you pop the tape in at the remote site and do a redirected restore to the remote site media server...catalog/inventory the tape first.

Thanks!

brupnick's picture

We just recently convered our backups from tape to disk, so I still have a tape mentality when it comes to all things Backup Exec-related. For example, I thought that if I replicated the B2D files to a second storage device, all I would have to do is add the B2D target to a second BE server, inventory, catalog, and I'm done. As the link you provided describes, it doesn't work this way.

That being said, we've never really had a need for a CASO since everything we did was on tape. In the event of a DR scenario, I would just inventory and catalog the tapes on the DR BE server and be on my way. Which leads to my next few questions:

1.) Is CASO included as part of my BE license or is there an additional cost for this feature?

2.) Can CASO be installed on an active BE media server with attached tape drives and B2D targets? That is, do I need to deploy a third server to manage my existing two BE media servers, or can SERVER1 at my main site continue to be a media server, as well as run CASO for itself and SERVER2 at DR?

Thank you!

CraigV's picture

1. Unless it states you have this license as a separate line item, then you don't, and it is licensed separately.

2. CASO can be installed on a new server, or any current server.

Thanks!