Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Can BE2012's SDR back up and recover itself?

Created: 07 Jan 2013 • Updated: 28 Jan 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello :)

Is it possible to use BE2012's own Simplified Disaster Recovery in order to restore the backup server itself?

Clearly the backup data for the media server would need to be accessible via a local disk (USB?) in order for the Recovery DVD to be of any use. Is there any documentation for such a configuration?

What is the mechanism for restoring the MSSQL data if it's not already included in the SDR process?

Cheers,

Gavin.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Gurvinder Rait's picture

Yes, you can recover local system. The procedure should be similar to what is outlined in this article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180099. There is currently a known Issue that you should be aware about which is mentioned in this article and is limited to spanned RDX cartridges (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH194369). 

gdhgdh's picture

Gurvinder,

Thank you for your reply. I'm familiar with article TECH180099 which is focussed on connecting to an existing BE installation across the network, but my question is specifically for recovering from local data.

Is there advice available on how to schedule a full weekly backup of the BE2012 server itself so the data files can be easily copied to an external USB disk in the event of a failure (in that case we get new hardware, boot from the SDR DVD and recover from the USB disk) ?

We don't use RDX carts but thank you for bringing the issue to my attenton.

Cheers,

Gavin.

pkh's picture

To restore SQL or other databases, like Exchange, it is always a 2-step process.  You restore the application itself, using either a normal restore or SDR, then you restore the data.

gdhgdh's picture

Thank you - that's what I was expecting - but isn't it a chicken-and-egg situation? Surely I need a working BE2012 installation (with all its SQL-based catalogs) in order to perform an advanced restore like MSSQL? 

How do I handle that scenario? We have an existing backup solution that we're trying to move away from (Arkeia). I would really like to avoid having to rely on it as a safety belt for BE2012 :)

Cheers,

Gavin.

pkh's picture

BE catalogs are not stored in a SQL database.  They are XML files stored in the Catalog directory under the BE installation directory.  You can browse this directory and take a look.

With regards to your other question regarding the backup of a BE media server, all you need to do is to backup the C; drive of the media server and the system state.  Make sure that SDR is on for the backup job.  When you use SDR to do the restore, you will be able to get back your media server and start restoring your other servers and data.

gdhgdh's picture

That's excellent news, thank you! :)

Can I ask as to the purpose of the 'BEDB' SQL database if it is not required for BE2012 to successfully launch and perform restores?

pkh's picture

The BEDB is required for BE to operate.  This is restored when you restore the Data directory under the BE installation directory.  This is the only SQL database that is backed up as a file.  Any other .mdf/.ldf files are skipped by AFE and you can only back up SQL databases through the SQL agent.

SOLUTION