Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Can I change the SQL port from 1433 to something else?

Posted Aug 15, 2012 05:41 PM

Hello all,

I've been running my SEPM's so that they are configured to communicate with my SQL server on port 1433. Now we getting a new 2008 server and the DBA's would like us to use a port other than 1433.

Is there a supported process for changing the SQL communication port across all my SEPM's?

I tried to just re-run the Management Server Configuration Wizard and specify the new port, but I got an error about the SEPM not being able to create the database.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated,

-Mike

P.S. I have v11 and v12.1 SEPM's reporting to the same database...in case the process is different.

• 2.  RE: Can I change the SQL port from 1433 to something else?

Posted Aug 15, 2012 06:15 PM

The SQL Server is remote to the SEPM, yes?

Just off the top of my head: Was the port already changed on the SQL server to the new port when you run the Management Server Configuration Wizard? If you did change that SQL Server port, was the SQL Server service then restarted? I didn't find a process document, but I found this troubleshooting KB. It does say 11.0 for category, but I don't think database communications are that different between the 11.x and 12.1. Obviously make adjustments for your version of SQL Server, too. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH95721

I have v11 and v12.1 SEPM's reporting to the same database...in case the process is different.

I hope you mean database server, as the database schema are very different between 11.x and 12.1 :)

sandra

• 3.  RE: Can I change the SQL port from 1433 to something else?

Posted Aug 15, 2012 06:22 PM

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. We also use a different port than 1433.

• 4.  RE: Can I change the SQL port from 1433 to something else?

Posted Aug 15, 2012 09:49 PM

The default port is typically 1433. You specify this port number when you create the database.

Best Practices guide for Installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager with a SQL Server 2005 Database

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104405

• 5.  RE: Can I change the SQL port from 1433 to something else?

Posted Aug 15, 2012 10:48 PM

Hi Sandra,

Yes, the SQL 2008 server is on a totally different box.

Yes, the port was already changed on the SQL server before I attempted to run the Configuration Wizard.

Is the SQL server service you're speaking of on the SQL server, or on the SEPM? I restarted the SEMSRV on the SEPM. Unknown what the DBA did on the SQL server.

I will check out the DOC, thanks!

11 and 12.1 are on the same server, different instance. SEM5 for v11 and SEM12 for v12.1

Thanks for the reply!!

-Mike

• 6.  RE: Can I change the SQL port from 1433 to something else?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2012 08:21 AM

Hi,

I think you should repair SQL database & after that try to run management server configuration wizard.

Let me know if helped.