Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Can I install fresh 12.1.4a on new server and redeploy to existing clients currently on 12.0

Posted Mar 21, 2014 07:59 PM

Hi, I have a Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0.1001.95 deployed in our company (40 clients), currently installed on Server 2003 - which is also a Domain Controller (which is going to be retired).

I need to move the SEP SBE to new Server 2008 R2 (also a DC).  There is a lot of information for migrating/moving SEP, but most is not specific to SBE and it is unclear what is the proper method to follow.  One thing seems clear - I need to have same version on new and old server to move successfully and I need to upgrade from 12.0.

When I run SymHelp.exe, I receive a number of errors and warnings.

Is it easier to simply install a fresh copy of SEP SBE 12.1.4a on new Server 2008 R2?  Can this be done and then re-deploy to clients without having to visit each machine to remove the old?

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken

• 2.  RE: Can I install fresh 12.1.4a on new server and redeploy to existing clients currently on 12.0

Posted Mar 21, 2014 08:34 PM

How many clients do you have? If a small number it may he easier to just reinstall and push out to clients

You can follow DR procedure as well to move to a new server:

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1: Best Practices for Disaster Recovery with the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

• 3.  RE: Can I install fresh 12.1.4a on new server and redeploy to existing clients currently on 12.0

Posted Mar 21, 2014 09:02 PM

Yes it is easier to Install new SEPM in your new server. To make it more easier, you can import your policies from your old SEPM (12.1.x) and import it to your New SEPM server (12.1.4a). Then also, create an upgrade package and configure its client install Upgrade Settings>remove all previous logs and policies, and reset the client-server communication settings. So it will reset/refresh its communication settings to report back in your New SEPM server.

Regards,

JM

• 4.  RE: Can I install fresh 12.1.4a on new server and redeploy to existing clients currently on 12.0

Posted Mar 22, 2014 01:20 AM