Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Can not add the VMware ESXi 5 Server in BE 2012.

Created: 16 Jun 2013 • Updated: 08 Aug 2013 | 16 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

We have the following details:-

1. Two DELL server  intragated with VMWare ESXi 5.

2. VCetner 5.1 install in of the VMware server as VM.

3. Two BE 2012 installed in the both the VMware server as VMs.

4. Tape drive in attached by "pass through device" with BE 2012 VM Server.

I have checked the compitibility doc and found that the VCenter 5.1 is not supported.

I was trying to add a VMware ESXi 5 Server to a BE 2012 Server.

When adding (after giving the root user and password) its giving the below error.

Unable to connect to "VMVCB::\<IP Address>\Virtual Center". Incorrect Function.

We have a VCenter 5.1 installed(Linux System) as VM. There we have added these two ESXi Server.

After that we have disconnected both the VMware from VCneter server.Again tried to add the server but still the same error.

We have tried to add the VCenter server but failed as expected as the compatibility issue.

Any idea...

I gussing that as we have added the ESXi server to VCenter server there may be some perment changed happened in the ESXi Server.

Thanks.

Operating Systems:

Comments 16 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

Is the vcenter also 5.1 just managing a 5.0 server as that also puts you into a potential unsupported configuration.

EDIT: For vCenter persmissions, if the vCenter server is a Windows server (and not a virtual appliance) then you will use Windows Credentials, NOT the root account

Also check the permissions decriptions in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129645

Also we do NOT support tape drive pass through into a VM and you will get random problems trying to get this to work reliably. Your media server should be a physical server to use physical tape devices (possible exception for an iSCSI library)

ladynerd's picture

I am having the same issue.  I understand that vCenter version 5.1 is not supported on backup exec 2012, but this is what I don't understand.

I have two backup servers, both on backup exec 2012 and two vCenter datacenters both 5.1.

Only difference between the two backup servers are the operating systems.  one is win server 2008 R2 64 bit and the other is win server 2003 standard.

Backup Exec on the 2008 box is able to see both vCenters, access resource containers and backup the virtual disks, etc.  The Backup Excec on the 2003 box is not able to see neither vCenter, or access any resource containers. Both are using the same credential to run backup jobs, etc.

On the win 2003 box, I keep getting "Unable to connec to "VMVCB::\\servername\Virtual Center". Could not connect to the vCenter server or ESX server.  Please verify the credential supplied for login.

Firewall is not an issue here because the win 2003 box and one of the vCenter is on the same subnet.  Backup Exec is still not able to connect tot he vCenter.  it is able to backup the virtual machines on this datacenter, just not the virtual images, templates, etc.

Any suggestion is appreciated.  I already talked to Symantec Support and all I was told was that 5.1 is not supported at this time.

CraigV's picture

...that's the nature of the "beast" so-to-speak!

Some people don't have an issue connecting to ESX 5.1, or backing up servers running Windows Server 2012, while others do.

Fact of the matter is that both products are unsupported. Therefore, trying to back them up/access them is going to give various issues. Support is correct in simply stating that both products are unsupported, and therefore won't give support.

They should also have told you about the Beta programme currently running...check below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ann...

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

ladynerd's picture

Problem is they didn't.  I tried the beta links and was directed to a site that says the beta period has expired.

Colin Weaver's picture

The beta registration was expired a couple of days ago because we are close to genral availability of SP2. If you has registered at the start of last week you might have still been able to receive the beta.

Colin Weaver's picture

Are the vCenter servers using the same/standard VMware Management port (902 ie memory serves me correctly)?

ladynerd's picture

windows 2012?  someone on it?  ;o)

Windows Server 2003 and 2008 64 bit OS with Backup Exec 2012.

CraigV's picture

..yes, the Beta is already open. Check my post for the link 2 posts up!

mrinal.sarkar6200's picture

Hi Guys,

Thanks for you great support...

We have installed compatable software and it was through.

we have Installed VCenter 5.0 (Update 1) as given in the compatibility docs..

AS we have went to add the vcenter server it was through....

Just to add...

When we add any ESXi server to a VCenter Server there was some perment change done in the ESXi server.

Thus, when we were adding the ESXi server directly the error was generated...Even we have disconnected the ESXi server from the VCenetr 5.1 server still the error. As I guess some interface of VCenter is still used by the ESXi serve even though we have disconnected from vcenter server.

What so ever..

IT was purely a compatable issue...

And yes...the pass-through tape drive is working (as altrnative configuration) fine...

Yet to know how...

Hope symatec come with next version that  support VCenter 5.1...

Thanks...

Certified Symantec Professional.

Work mostly with Netbackup, Backup Exec, Storage Foundation, DLO and System Recovery

Mrinal Sarkar

Howrah, India

CraigV's picture

Hi,

As per my previous post, the Beta for BE 2012 SP2 and BE 2010 SP3 will support ESX 5.1....

Thanks!

mrinal.sarkar6200's picture

Hi,

Yes , ofcourse it do support ...

But as per compibility documents it does not support VCenter 5.1

Thanks.

Certified Symantec Professional.

Work mostly with Netbackup, Backup Exec, Storage Foundation, DLO and System Recovery

Mrinal Sarkar

Howrah, India

CraigV's picture

...as per SCL for both BE 2010 and BE 2012, vSphere 5.1 is not supported...correct!

As per the blog post below (found when going through the Blog link above), vSphere is going to be supported once the Beta programme is completed...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/upco...

Thanks!

SOLUTION
Colin Weaver's picture

Also SP2 will support vSphere 5.1 and vCenter 5.1 - there is no point if we could not as you cannot run an older vCenter version than the ESX/vSphere host version

Hence (as an example):-

5.0 vCenter managing 4.1 host is supported by VMware (and Backup Exec)

4.1 vcenter managing 5.0 host is not supported by VM (and won't work with BE either)

SuperBrain's picture
The much awaited Service Packs to add support to Windows Server 2012 (Remote Agent only) and VMWare 5.1 are released.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 3

Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 2
SOLUTION
ladynerd's picture

ran the SP2 update this morning and tried adding the vmware 5.1 after a reboot, still getting the same error message.  unable to conenct to "vmvcb::\servername or ip address\virtual center".

didn't seem to make any difference for me.  very disappointed, i was really hoping to be able to backup our vm environment.

CraigV's picture

...did you push-install the updates out to the Virtual Center server?

Thanks!