Can not restore from old media
We recently retired our LTO2 media and robot and moved on to LTO3. We now need to perform a restore from an LTO2 tape, but it fails each try to do so. I am guessing its because the LTO2 robot no longer exists.
What change do I need to make to allow Netbackup 6.5.4 (Windows) to know to make the restore using the LTO3 robot? I already tried changing the media owner to the new host, but still no go.
Ok, here is what resolvedOk, here is what resolved this issue:
1) I had to run <Install Path>\Netbackup\Volmgr\Bin\
vmchange -m <existing 6 char media id> -barcode <6 character barcode that the robot is assigning>
* This will tell the robot to give it the media id of my choice when I enter it. This way it will match what is needed for the restore. This is required if the media ID is actualy different then the robot is assigning to it and is not needed if its the same. Media ID generation rules do NOT apply.
2) Change one of the drives to the proper density to support the restore. AKA change one over to 1/2" hcart2 cartridge.
3) Create a new storage device and link it to this hcart2 drive. this is used to act as a virtual robot to control the drive.
This can be done from the Netbackup admin console by going to Storage > Storage Units - Create new
4) Verify in the master server and media server properties from insidethe Netbackup admin console under the general server option, that the backup and restore server information is correct. This will allow a server to perform the restore although it did not perform the backup. Does not apply to everyone.
5) perform the restore as usual
6) Remove the virtual controller you created in step 3. Set the drive back to its original density ... opposite of step 2.
I hope this helps others...